Exhaust Upgrade

Discussion in 'Challenger R/T Engine & Performance Modifications' started by Bawaa, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Bawaa

Bawaa Member

I'm trying to decide on what new exauhst to get. I was looking at the Borla Atak and Corsa Extreme. I know both sound really aggressive, but what about performance? I'd rather have performance than sound. I was even considering the magna flow competition exhaust even though it's more quite. I won't care if the performance yield is significant.

2. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

If you want to get an exhaust to increase performance, you should look at systems that have X-pipes, like the Borla ATAK. Also, get a good set of headers.

However, if you want great "old school" sound, I recommend Zoomers. Check out this sound clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxB6DNaXUmI

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  3. Bawaa

Bawaa Member

In that case I'll probably go with Borla, should I use their headers too? Or are there better ones available? Also, can I use the Borla Atak for the srt8? I want a bigger diameter than the stock 2.5".

4. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

Borla makes good headers and a Borla ATAK would work well with an SRT. Kooks, Stainless Works, Hooker, Doug Thorley and JBA headers are also excellent. Your SRT has OEM shorty "clam shell" headers for power and torque from idle to the mid-RPM range. This is great for daily driving. That is why they are installed at the factory. However, if you are looking for more horsepower and torque from mid-to-high RPMs, install long tube headers. These are great for high-revving engines and drag racing, but they sacrifice some low-RPM power.

I wouldn't go bigger than a 2.5 inch diameter exhaust pipe unless your car will be used for racing. When the pipe diameter gets to large, exhaust gas velocity decreases and engine performance can actually decrease. Also, the exhaust will be much louder.

Check out this informative Hot Rod article about exhausts and horsepower.

2 1/4 inch exhaust or 3-Inch Exhaust - Car Craft Magazine

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  5. Bawaa

Bawaa Member

Well I have an RT, but I have a cai and a ported throttle body. I'm going to end up swaping out my intake manifold for a 6.1 l 85 mm metal ported one because I don't like the look of the eagle engine's plastic one. I'm going to go with long tube headers because I want the most performance I can get. A couple of my friends have told me to go to 3" pipes by that seems too large. The 2.75" is what borla sells for the srt rather than the 2.5" for the rt. I'm planning on a replacing the fuel rail and injectors to support nos and a procharger in the far future so I'm trying to keep all of that in mind.

6. redbullssg

redbullssg Active Member

A good system that is looked over is the Pypes Violator system. 2.75" and reasonably priced for full Cat back stainless.. It's their race system. Dyno results on their website. Coupled with longtubes, it sounds awesome!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  7. ZEN357

ZEN357 Full Access Member

I'd go with the Borla ATAK exhaust. I heard one on a Challenger and it sounds awesome!