Feeling thunk again

Discussion in 'Challenger Mechanical Problems Forum | TSB's' started by Duck Johnson, Jan 23, 2023.

1. Duck Johnson

Duck Johnson Full Access Member

I made a post about when I’m parked in my driveway overnight, my challenger makes a jolt when I go from park to drive on the shifter. It never does this at any other time. The driveway has a slight slope, but now it is doing when I’m parked in the front of my house. Which I have no slope. It is more noticeable when it is colder in the morning. Except for this little quirk, I’m having no issues and she is running like a beast. Should I be concerned?

2. Moparisto

Moparisto Full Access Member

When I had an automatic, I heavily applied the park brake like I was trying to press the pedal through the floor before I put it in Park.

That way, no wear and stress on that park pin in the transmission.

If you have instead been using the police "throw'er in park to stop the car from moving" method, then you may just have some wear on the park pin or its socket in the trans, or maybe some wear on the linkage itself.

3. Duck Johnson

Duck Johnson Full Access Member

Is this something I should be concerned with? Will using the parking brake alleviate the problem?

4. HellKitten

HellKitten Full Access Member

If your referring to the intermittent thump that happens when you first start it up foot on the brake. That happens to me once in a while 2020 GT AWD. Someone put up a video on YouTube a year or so ago. It seems to be the transmission engaging slightly and clunking the rear differential.

5. RyansRT

RyansRT Active Member

If you are running the OEM 2 piece driveshaft parking on an incline puts a lot of pressure on the center support bearing rubber support gasket and can lead to its early demise.

And demise looks like this.

20200817_160307.jpg
    Once the rubber tears loose you have to replace the entire driveshaft, and it usually starts with a thunk sound, so keep an eye on it. Ry

6. Moparisto

Moparisto Full Access Member

My old Satellite made that sound when a U-joint was too worn, but these cars use CV joints due to the very low angle of incidence between the rotating members. however, that does come to mind as maybe being some loosenes. But, it's easy to test by just putting the car in neutral and getting under there and manually twisting the driveshaft back and forth and seeing if any noise/looseness is there.