Flashing TPMS ( ! ) light

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Maintenance' started by ONE L COOL J, Nov 19, 2020.

1. ONE L COOL J

ONE L COOL J Well-Known Member

Hello everyone,

On the way home from work tonight, my 2009 Dodge Challenger SE started to display a flashing TPMS ( ! ) light. After about 70 flashes the light remains solid. See video below.

I pulled into a gas station shut the car off and checked the PSI in all 4 tires. They were all good. When I started the car back up the TPMS ( ! ) light started blinking again then remained solid.

It's November here in Seattle, WA and the temp drops as low as 40°. I also read the TPMS sensors usually don't last over 10 years and my car's age is 11 years. I'm bringing it to dealer to check for codes tomorrow. Anyone know if it's usually the individual TPMS sensors or TPMS module? Also, where can I find OEM TPMS sensors online?

Thanks in advance!

2. Katshot

Katshot Full Access Member

As I recall, a flashing light means system trouble, whereas a solid light means a low tire.

ONE L COOL J likes this.
  3. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

The TPMS warning light will illuminate when a tire is low and should eventually go out after a tire has been inflated to its recommended pressure according to the vehicle’s door placard, according to ATEQ TPMS. After starting a vehicle, a TPMS icon will turn on for a few seconds. However, if the light stays on, it indicates that one or more of the tires on the vehicle are at least 25% below the recommended pressure.

If the light flashes for one to two minutes, it indicates there is a malfunction in the TPMS system. There are many situations that can cause a TPMS warning light to come on or flash. In your case, it is probably dying batteries in the sensors.

ONE L COOL J likes this.
  4. IntimidatorRT

IntimidatorRT Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator

well to say that your car is now 11 years old, I would say that the sensor or one of them is probably dying. I have a 2009 also, so I would expect anything to happen. not sure what the life expectancy is on these things, but hell replace replace replace....lol

ONE L COOL J likes this.
  5. ONE L COOL J

Thanks Tom. Unfortunately the light has not flashed/remained on since last month. Waiting for them to come back on so I can take it to a tire shop to see which sensor is going bad

6. 70-426_10-SRT

70-426_10-SRT B&E body lover

On my 2010 SRT there is a Menu Option to tell you which tire has the error or is low.
    To confirm it's not the system, you can rotate your tires and see if the error follows.

I replaced mine last year with NEW Schrader TPMS sensors off Amazon.
    Two have already failed.
    They work fine in the morning then one will pop about 10 miles out.
    Then clears itself within another 5-miles.

ONE L COOL J likes this.
  7. IntimidatorRT

too bad you dont have the EVIC display option, with that you could tell which tire would be down

ONE L COOL J likes this.
  8. IntimidatorRT

most if not all the 2009 SE models probably didnt come with that option. I know of a few RT owners who dont have it either.

9. ONE L COOL J

Yikes. Must have been sitting on the shelves for awhile to go out so soon...

Not really sure if I should go Schrader or after market now...

10. ONE L COOL J

I don't believe the 2009 Challenger are equipped with the EVIC display unfortunately.