Going to sell 70 R/T U code. What should I be asking?

Discussion in 'First Generation Challenger Forum' started by Tork, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Tork

Tork Member

Not really sure how to do this. Here are a few pictures. Have many more but could only put on 5. Almost all metal work seems done. Have almost every part, either serviceable original or new aftermarket. 440, 4bbl, numbers matching 4 speed, engine numbers not matching. Plum Crazy, white vinyl top. White interior. 65000 miles. Please email with any questions. We just can't afford to do the project. I bought it from relatives family when owner unexpectantly died. Have clear title. Thinking we'll put it on ebay but could use some help with pricing. Any help would be appreciated. Email me at [email protected] or post your thoughts. Thank you.

IMG_2725.JPG IMG_2727.JPG IMG_2729.JPG IMG_2737.JPG IMG_2733.JPG IMG_2725.JPG IMG_2727.JPG IMG_2729.JPG IMG_2733.JPG IMG_2737.JPG

2. 70-426_10-SRT

70-426_10-SRT B&E body lover

Well my '70 SE with a running 383 AUTO I paid $750 for
    (in 1978 :) )

That is a NICE, Clean 4-speed project.

3. Tork

Tork Member

Thanks, hopefully it's appreciated greatly! Paid lots for it, he had lots in it already! Wish I could do it myself but not a painter or bodyman. Have a great one and thanks again.

4. 70-426_10-SRT

If you do post it somewhere,
    please add a LINK to this post so we can watch

Thanks for sharing a beautiful project car

5. 2017 Redline HC

2017 Redline HC 2021 Durango RT

Lots of potential there!

6. Tork

Tork Member

Yes there is, somebody who has their own body shop could finish prepping, paint it and put it together. I even got paint and materials for it. All I know for sure you'd need to buy is a windshield and some seat belts. If you have any ideas what I should list it for, please share. Thanks for the input.

7. 70-426_10-SRT

Every since I saw this '71 CUDA go for $3.5 Million
    I quit guessing

3mill-71-CUDA.jpg

8. Tork

Tork Member

Wow, amazing! In the end it's going to sell what it's worth to the buyer. My problem is having a clue of what to ask or even what reserve to put on it if I try eBay. I've bought stuff on eBay but never sold so this is a brand new process for me. I've seen the big money these have been going for on the big auctions but I don't have the money to make it that perfect. Cool Cuda though!

9. B5blueRT

B5blueRT Full Access Member

Tough call but you're right, it's only worth what someone will buy it for. Two thoughts:
    1. Maybe go to the Haggery Insurance website and use their valuation tool to get an idea of a #4 condition with your equipment... just to get an idea. Look at the #3 and #2 values for an idea of what it would be worth after restoration but downplay the numbers a little bit since your isn't numbers matching.
    2. Put it on EBay with a high reserve - at least the $$$ you have in it already plus a few extra thousand in case someone is really interested.. List everything you have for it and missing parts because buyers will low bid project cars. Way too many sellers say they have all or most parts, but what that means is different to various people. Make yourself the buyer, what would you pay for the car if you had to farm out some of the work (paint and body)? Would the final figure be way more than the value of the finished product?
    A few years back I looked at a 68 Mustang that needed bodywork, paint, interior and some mechanical work. I figured about $20K, the guy wanted $10K firm for the car. I walked away since for LESS THAN $30K I could buy one already finished.
    The cost to restore a car usually is higher that the finished car is worth if some of the work has to be outsourced, question is by how much.
    Good luck.

70-426_10-SRT likes this.
  10. B5blueRT

B5blueRT Full Access Member