Got one for you.

Discussion in 'The Champagne Room' started by FrankenMax, Dec 9, 2019.

1. FrankenMax

FrankenMax Full Access Member

I have a 2016 AWD Durango R/T. A few weeks ago it started shifting funny. Dealership replaced the valve body, my wife didn’t even make it home before she took it back. It started banging gears and had a metal on metal sound to it. So the dealership checked it again. They replaced the transmission thanksgiving week we pick it up. Black Friday rolls around I pulled my boat about 160 miles round trip to lake Mojave and back no problem. Last Friday I made a 720 mile round trip and the transmission was over heating. I was not towing it was in eco mode with the cruise set at 80mph. It would only overheat in 8th gear. If it dropped to 7th the temperature went down. Go in to 8th temps skyrocketed. The highest I seen was 280 degrees. I’m honestly stumped on this one. I’m leaning towards a check valve or flow control module. It’s sounds like the dealership wants nothing to do with it now. We shall see. Has anyone seen this before?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. 10DYRT

10DYRT Full Access Member

That is a different one for sure, I agree with what you are guessing as the outside temp is actually quite cool so I'm leaning toward poor flow. Trans cooler plugged up a bit from the swap??
    I'm assuming fluid level is good.

3. FrankenMax

My wife picked it up from the dealership last night. They put 60 miles on it with no issues. FCA recommenced a few test, it passed them. It’s one more stent in the shop away from being lemoned. I’m going to drive it Friday and manually hold 8th and see what it dose. This is going to get expensive for FCA. The dealership is being awesome to work with.

4. 10DYRT

10DYRT Full Access Member

Did they say what it may have been?

5. FrankenMax

No they didn’t say boo. The service manager said to my wife he’d seen it before and it was the cooler. Supposedly they tested that and it was good. I say let it burn, FCA has a bad customer service rap. I’ve experienced it more than once with my Scat pack. A different dealership broke my 6 spd, driveling like A-holes. Thank god for GPS trackers! That was a fun trip I don’t wish to repeat. It took 9 months to sort that mess out.

6. FrankenMax

I’ve been waiting a minute to give an update. I took the Durango back to the dealership. I showed them the video I took of transmission over heating. This time they didn’t deny that there was a problem. So they took it and checked it out and concluded that it was over filled with transmission fluid. When FCA sends a transmission out as a replacement it comes full of fluid and sealed. I was unaware of this, I suppose I’m ignorant for assuming if you call yourself an auto mechanic you would check things like this. It still runs warm, 195 seems to be its happy spot. We will see what summer brings when the air temperature hits 115 degrees in the desert. I’d be willing to bet good money that that I have more issues.

7. KEVIN DONOVAN

KEVIN DONOVAN Full Access Member

I just got rid of my '15 Durango. Had it since new. Loved the truck but hated the transmission. After several trips to multiple dealers, I finally just concluded that Dodge is ok with the transmissions having shifting problems.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Well-Known Member Staff Member Administrator

I just read on another forum of mine that someone had a similar problem, but I can't remember if it was a engine temp or trans temp. Either way, he found out that the issue was his cats where clogged/backed up. I'm thinking this is more of a engine heating issue then a trans, but you never know.

9. FrankenMax

As much as I hate to say it, I miss my suburban. I just rebuilt the transmission in it last June. It had been a great vehicle for us. My wife just wanted something newer and slightly smaller. While I was shopping for my Hellcat she put her hand on the Durango and batted her eyes. She never asks for anything so..yeah