History of Dodge Charger

Discussion in 'The Champagne Room' started by SRT-Tom, Jul 29, 2022.

1. Cloverdale

Cloverdale Full Access Member

Even at their 280 hp rating my dad's 73 Charger SE Brougham 440 lit the G60 tires up from a slow rolling start!

7319.jpg

70-426_10-SRT and baccaruda like this.
  2. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Super Moderator Article Writer

That's because the de-tuned 440 4-barrel only lost 25 lb/ft. of torque, from 400 in 1971 to 375 in 1973.

3. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Super Moderator Article Writer

That's because the de-tuned 440 4-barrel only lost 25 lb/ft. of torque, from 400 in 1971 to 375 in 1973. That's still close to what the 5.7 Hemi puts out (410 lb/ft).

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
  4. Moparisto

Moparisto Full Access Member

Was the "L" for the Roman numeral 50 for the wheel horsepower?

fritzthecat likes this.
  5. Cloverdale

6. baccaruda

baccaruda Full Access Member

nice car, and i like the 71' center caps on the rallye wheels wheels.

70-426_10-SRT likes this.
  7. Cloverdale

That isn't an actual pic of my dad's (the closest I could find online as I don't have a suitable pic). This car is pretty much identical (our interior was whiter and the rallye cap's were 73). Cost about $7k canadian new.

8. baccaruda

baccaruda Full Access Member

still nice car and your dads must of been too i like those bodies..

9. Moparisto

The 440/6 CLAIMED to have 390hp and 490 ft-lbs.
    The Hemi CLAIMED to have 425hp and 390 ft-lbs or such, IIRC. "425" is "stuff you, insurance fiends"-speak for "485 hp," evidently.

Also, the 440 could beat a Hemi on the street unless the Hemi was in a razor-sharp state of tune, I have heard.

I find the 390hp to be somewhat, shall we say, pessimistic.

10. stingray

stingray Full Access Member

How about the Corvette 454 390 HP from the same era?

11. Moparisto

LOL "390"hp.

Didn't the monster L88 four-barrel 427 have (with headers) 585hp?

From the article: As before, GM intentionally reported that the L88 was only capable of producing 430 horsepower, instead of the 550 horsepower that was actually produced.

Imagine that. 550hp from the factory, with iron manifolds. Why do I think that with headers it would produce a lot more than 585hp?

1969 was peak Corvette.

https://www.corvsport.com/l88-corvette-pinnacle-of-all/

E'ry one staying under the Insurance Company Shriek Zone, 400hp, yes?

Our beloved little Gen III Hemi is a 560hp engine, naturally aspirated, with headers (EFI.)

What a home run the new Hemi is.

I say, Dodge, give us a Gen III Hemi with 5" bore centers. 624 cubic inches and no apologies.

I wonder how much power one could yank out of a big block porcupine 454 now with modern very-angled heads. I know Pro Mock engines are turning over 10,000 RPM and producing around 1500 that they admit, but I'm thinking streetable yet monstrous.

it is interesting to me how much heads have angled over the years. Not the Hemis, of course, but the lesser brands. I wonder how far they can go and still experience gains?

Evidently, Brodix has 26 degree BBC heads:

https://brodix.com/heads-2/big-block-chevrolet-compatible-heads/race-rite-big-block-series26

I am curious why someone hasn't just designed the ideal intake and exhaust ports, and then just built heads around them. I don't think the ports would make many turns.

If one were to angle the intakes in one direction (counter clockwise as viewed from the top) and then rotate the exhaust ports in a similar direction, and then reverse it on the other side of the engine, one could really have some direct-shot, high-flowing ports opposite each other.

But, one would want them going as close to parallel with the cylinder's axis as possible while not having valves that were too terribly long. Having to sneak past some valves is somewhat of an obstacle.

Sleeve valves are superior, but they require machinists who don't fancy bananas as being a great main course meal. They were used extensively in WWII airplane engines, such as the awesome Napier Sabre. They also led to a quieter engine, even in a radial that was air-cooled, as in the "whispering death," the Bristol Beaufighter.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2022 at 10:14 PM