Hurricane Engines

Discussion in 'Challenger News, Articles and Media Reviews' started by SRT-Tom, Nov 22, 2022.

1. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

The January 2023 issue of Motor Trend has an evaluation of the SUVs for 2023.

Of particular interest, was the review of the Jeep Wagoneer L (Series II) and its new Hurricane engines.

Two 3.0 liter 24-valve I-6 twin-turbo engines are offered- the "low-output" version with 420 hp and 468 lb-ft of torque and the high-output version with 510 hp and 500 lb-ft. These two engines provide impressive acceleration for the 6,410 lb 2023 Jeep Wagoneer L (Series II).

Here are the performance numbers:

Low-Output Engine

0-60 mph= 5.5 sec.
    1/4 mile= 14.1 sec @95.1 mph

High-Output Engine

0-60 mph= 5.0 sec.
    1/4 mile= 13.5 sec @102.7 mph

I wonder what the performance numbers will be when these engines are put in much lighter cars?

Just for fun, I entered the above horsepower ratings for a car weighing only 4,000 lbs. into a 1/4 mile ET calculator (which I have found to be pretty accurate). This is what it revealed:

420 hp= 12.34 sec @116.0 mph
    510 hp= 11.57 sec @123.8 mph

1/4 Mile ET Calculator (robrobinette.com)

What a way for the ICE engines to go out!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
  2. Cloverdale

Cloverdale Full Access Member

And the Grand Wagoneer is 6900 lbs.

3. HellKitten

HellKitten Full Access Member

That low output version is a boat load of torque. I suspect you will see them available in the Challengers & Chargers etc.

4. Cloverdale

Twin turbo's are a maintenance pain in the behind beyond the warranty period, and more so if modded.

5. HellKitten

HellKitten Full Access Member

Are the turbos big bucks to replace.

6. Cloverdale

Beyond the major expense of the turbo replacement, gaining access on my applications is a monumental undertaking requiring many days of work. Not likely the Hurricane applications will be any less difficult. A single turbo replacement on a friend's VW at the dealership was $5k. I think it's fair to state the mfg's are well aware of the profitable maintenance revenue resulting from going in this direction, while many buyer's are unaware of what they're in for beyond the warranty period (for many, 'Turbocharged' sounds as appealing as 'Hemi' powered.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
  7. fritzthecat

fritzthecat Full Access Member

Good lord, what’s it made of, lead?

If I buy a car that weighs 6900 lbs, it needs to have 8 wheels and be able to go in two different directions at once.

Cloverdale likes this.
  8. stingray

stingray Full Access Member

Sounds like the new Challengers will only be good as lease only cars. Turn them in before the maintenance gets heavy or the turbos need replacement.:facepalm::snoopfacepalm:

Fuelinjected87 likes this.
  9. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

MoparInsiders has published an article comparing the horsepower of Ford's 302 engine to Dodge's new turbo-charged Hurricane engines.

The 302's power is boosted to 486 horsepower thanks to a new dual-throttle body design with an available active-valve performance exhaust system (480 horsepower without the active-valve exhaust) and 415 ft.-lbs. of torque. On the new top-of-the-line Mustang Dark Horse model, the Coyote delivers 500 horsepower and 418 ft.-lb. of torque.

However, making its official debut under the hood of the 2023 Jeep® Wagoneer / Grand Wagoneer (WS) lineup, the two Hurricane inline-six engines employ state-of-the-art engineering and technologies that include two low-inertia, high-flow turbochargers for rapid response to throttle inputs, plasma transfer wire arc (spray bore) coating in the cylinder bores for an ultra-thin, low-friction wear surface and high-pressure (5,075 psi/350 bar) direct fuel injection. The all-aluminum twin-turbo Hurricane engines offer an outstanding 420 horsepower and 468 lb.-ft. of torque in its standard-output (S.O.) form, and an awesome 510 horsepower and 500 lb.-ft. of torque for the high-output (H.O.) variant.

Dodge’s Next-Gen Hurricane-Powered Muscle Cars Look To Out Power Mustang! (moparinsiders.com)

10. Moparisto

Moparisto Full Access Member

It would be easier, in this day and age, to get a CAD-designed crank and V12 block and literally take every single moving bit and piece off of a pair of those motors and have a great, thumping V12 engine.