Japanese "Drift King" Meets the Redeye

Discussion in 'Track Talk' started by SRT-Tom, Jul 22, 2022.

1. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

Japanese racing legend Keiichi Tsuchiya was asked to drive a guy's Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye Widebody.

He is known as the “Drift King”. No, not the “DK” from The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (although he did serve as the stunt coordinator for the film and made a cameo appearance in it), but a 2-time 24 Hours of LeMans winner and the runner-up in the 2001 All Japan GT Championship. He also served as a technical director for the Initial D manga and anime in their early stages.

Watch this video where he puts the 797 hp. SRT through its paces on two separate runs (auto. and paddle shifting). Start at the 6:30 minute mark.

He loved the power and torque and called the car a "monster." He, however, wasn't a big fan of the car's weight and electronic traction control. Someone should have showed him how to completely turn off the traction control.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
  2. Moparisto

Moparisto Full Access Member

They gave him the Lord of Drift Cars and didn't turn off traction control/stability control?
    Isn't that like sending someone on their honeymoon in a full body cast, like the MASH doctors did to the husband of Margaret Houlihan?

3. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

I don't think anyone knew how to turn it completely off. Maybe the Japanese cannot read English owner manuals.

4. Moparisto

Moparisto Full Access Member

Yes, I have heard that you can't turn them all the way off. I found that out when dyno-testing the Hellcat, and the guy saying he had already done all the usual Hellcat shut-off of the SRT, removing the fuse dealing with the ABS/etc.

The first part of the first run had plenty of rear brake smoke. Later, it was better, as he evidently found whatever the less-than-top-tier dyno guy found that was the problem.

I specifically asked for the big guy, got the weekend second-string dude instead. That was a lesson in and of itself. Never go with the second-tier handoff if the guy who actually knows what he is doing is not available to run the dynamometer.

Being a mechanic does not qualify you to get within ten feet of a dynamometer.