Just purchased a 2018 R/T High Octane Red

Discussion in 'New Member Check-In' started by Michael Piper, Mar 22, 2018.

1. cut off the mufflers only

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Cut off the resonators only

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. straight pipe it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. cat back exhaust

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  5. axle back exhaust

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. swap out the cats for high flow ones

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  7. shorties

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. larger throttle body

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. tune for stock engine

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  10. mopar cam

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  11. 6.1 intake manifold

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. 6.4 intake manifold

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. run 91+ octane

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. fuse pull

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Something not on the list

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. Warranty? We don't need a warranty!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Michael Piper

Michael Piper Member

I've always respected Hemis, but I grew up a GM person. The tiny size of the latest Camaro sent me looking for options. I rented a Challenger for a few days on a trip, and bought my own the day after I got back home.

The 5.7 Might not be up to 392, Hellcat or Demon status, but its got the torque to push you into the seat and the rumble to make me smile. Coming from a different frame of reference, I've got a lot to learn. I have a hellcat lower air box with the headlight tube ordered. But that's it so far. Beyond that, I don't know what these engines like or what parts are cross compatible, etc. So, I'll be reading a lot of the threads and possibly asking a ton of questions.

Lets start off with a basic question any newbie would ask. Lets say you have $1,000 in hand. What would you recommend?

IMG_1642.jpg

2. IntimidatorRT

IntimidatorRT Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator

if you just bought a new 2018, you don't want to go cheap, you get what you paid for. but I have JBA headers and a solo Performance exhaust, and I don't have to worry about voiding warranty as my dealer will cover it for me. but only real thing I have had problems with was the alternator,

I also bought mine used from a dealer in New Jersey, 1300 miles away from where I live.

but to start.... cold air intake, then maybe exhaust after that.a 6.1 or a 6.4 intake wont give you any more power with out a cam swap to go with it.

3. Michael Piper

Michael Piper Member

I've heard as long as its MOPAR brand, it won't void the warranty. How accurate is that, and do shorties automatically get a pass, or is it just your dealer? Exhausts after the cats seem to be fine with any manufacturer, but that's the limit for a lot of dealers.

I'm not really planning to go cheap, so much as looking at some simple/quick starting ideas.

4. 10DYRT

10DYRT Full Access Member

I'm not sure if the 2018 R/T has the "Active Exhaust" or not, I think if it does then a higher flow muffler or resonator delete would be best to improve flow. A CAI is not very good if the exhaust is resticted, Air (exhaust) out should equal air in.
    jmo

Michael Piper likes this.
  5. IntimidatorRT

IntimidatorRT Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator

I think active exhaust is just a ford thing, haven't heard about it on any of our cars. I have JBA shorties on mine and no problems with my dealer with them on. I also have a 2009 SRT spring and shock set up along with running a Trinity tuner and no problems there either. Only one mechanic at my dealer is allowed to touch my car. if he is not there I will bring it back when he is there.... dealers are finicky about what they work on. I know my dealer, warranty work is all the get for a time, so they don't turn that stuff down cause of a few changes. My dealer is mod friendly, , I know there are dealers that are not so kind to their customers.

6. Michael Piper

Michael Piper Member

I read an article that Active exhaust is on the 2017 models, but can't find any details. The ford thing is another creature entirely. Theirs is a port that op-ens to make the engine rumble louder in the cabin. the active exhaust on the Camaro and (maybe) the challenger is a version that opens up a louder part of the muffler. On the Camaro, the rear muffler has 2 tips. One is open all the time. The other only opens when you are at 3/4 throttle. So you get less back pressure at WOT and a louder sound, but at part throttle its not loud enough to get neighbors calling in noise complaints. How it works on the Challengers (if it is there) I'm not sure. I'm trying to research that before I do anything to the exhaust.

7. 10DYRT

10DYRT Full Access Member

There is a thread further down the forums that is quite informative.

8. Waylav2018TA

Waylav2018TA Well-Known Member

My 18 T/A has the active exhaust on it. 2017 and 18 RTs and up now come with it when equipped with super track pack.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018