Lift off hood question

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Discussions' started by Mark_k, Jul 4, 2021.

1. Mark_k

Mark_k New Member

Getting ready to pull the trigger on a scat pack shaker. My question, does anyone make a lift off fiberglass hood for them? Would like something like the old A12 hood, but set up for a shaker. Thanks

2. NC20RT

NC20RT Full Access Member

^^ I imagine one is available but with the Shaker writing under the hood I feel it makes the 'under hood look' better than ever. You would lose that by removing the hood obviously.
    Of course whatever you like is best and you would have one unique show car for sure.

P1010250 (3).JPG

3. 68MOPAR

68MOPAR Full Access Member

The last thing you want to do on a V8 HEMI (especially a 392), is to replace the aluminum hood with a composite hood. The aluminum hood is key to absorbing and displacing heat from the HEMI engine bay. Yeah, I know people do it, but, it's a bad idea. It's your car, do with it as you will.

Also... Be careful of seeking advice on the internet. The level of misinformation is staggering! Here's a thread from another forum where a Challenger owner is asking is 249 degree oil is too hot? Take a look at the replies he's getting... o_O

https://www.challengertalk.com/threads/are-my-oil-temperatures-too-high.690208/

Here is a chart of what's happening to your engine when the oil rises above 250 degrees. Any tech worth his salt knows this to be accurate. Videos of metal shavings found in the HEMI oil control valve is the result of thermal breakdown.

[​IMG]

Oil changes should be clocked via engine runtime, not miles driven. Use 0W40 full synthetic in the 392. I'd stick with Pennzoil Ultra. Leave the car stock.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
  4. Ed Bandics

Ed Bandics Full Access Member

Kind of on the same subject, but not. My son removed the plastic shroud on his 2019 Charger 5.7 engine. He said that the car runs 5-6 degrees cooler now. Is there any reason that this should not have been done? I know every thing has a purpose, but is that true with this shroud?

5. 68MOPAR

Heat travels up, so yes. Removing the shroud helps transfer heat to the aluminum hood which also acts as a heat-sink.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
  6. 68MOPAR

More bad advice... This is the kind of idiotic content that you need to be mindful of when visiting forums.

OP: I put in the Hellcat lower air box. Now thinking about replacing the ducting leading to the throttle body.
    Thinking about heat soak though? Is the intake factory ducting more efficient than aluminum or stainless?

Reply: Heat soak is beneficial. The heated intake hardware heats the intake air and at engine start the heated intake air makes for better combustion which helps gas mileage, improves engine tractability, and lowers engine deposit build up and oil contamination. o_O

7. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

Shrouds on all cars, SUVs and trucks are there for aesthetic purposes. They hide wires and assorted engine components to give the engine bay a cleaner look.

Some performance cars do not have shrouds, like my 6.1 Hemi.

Challenger 004.JPG

68MOPAR likes this.
  8. 2017 Redline HC

2017 Redline HC 2021 Durango RT

You have shrouds over the fuel injection components

9. Ed Bandics

Ed Bandics Full Access Member

Thanks for the replies and info, I will pass this on to my son.

10. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

True, but just like the 6.4, they are minimal compared to the large one on the 5.7 engine.

[​IMG]