Long Tube Header Only Mod?

Discussion in 'Challenger R/T Engine & Performance Modifications' started by AngryLemur, Oct 13, 2018.

1. AngryLemur

AngryLemur Member

I have a 2016 R/T as was considering long tube headers without changing the resonators or mufflers. I don't want a loud exhaust.

Will the long tube headers improve performance if I don't change anything else? Will the exhaust be much louder?

I've tried researching online, but all I see are mods where they changed the mufflers as well.

2. 70-426_10-SRT

70-426_10-SRT B&E body lover

You know you only gain HIGH RPM power with long tube.
    You will gain noise under the hood and inside the car, but not much at the exhaust tips.
    The Short tube with give you better mid range power.

As for the muffler & res, you would gain air flow at the high rpms, by changing them or deleting them, but you could also just add exhaust dumps, electric or just plates, for when you take it to the track.

3. AngryLemur

AngryLemur Member

Thanks...I'll do more research on the shortys. From what I thought I'd seen, there wasn't much hp gain from them, but I'll look again.

I'm really not willing to put much money into this R/T vs just trading in a used Scat Pack

4. IntimidatorRT

IntimidatorRT Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator

I have the JBA shorty headers on my Rt. the cat pipes and all all bolt up, no modification in using those.

5. ZEN357

ZEN357 Full Access Member

I'd honestly go with the BBK Ceramic Coated Stainless Steel Shorty Headers. They are better than the Scat Pack factory headers, will give you better exhaust flow and keep things cooler under the hood. They won't raise the noise level that much either.

6. AngryLemur

AngryLemur Member

Thanks all!

7. Hopslayer

Hopslayer Full Access Member

I actually wanted more noise from my 3.6, so I removed the resonators, replaced the stock mufflers with Jones Full Boar 2441’s, then straight piped to the tips. Now my v6 sounds more like what you guys all seem to have. Don’t tell anyone though. Lol.

Shani likes this.
  8. IntimidatorRT

IntimidatorRT Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator

and as you know the 3.6L cant put headers on those engines as the exhaust manifold is made into the head.

Hopslayer likes this.