Longevity Record

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Discussions' started by SRT-Tom, Jan 7, 2020.

1. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

Mopar Insiders has reported that the existing Challenger body will remain through 2022 or 2023. This makes it an incredible 14 or 15-year run!

When the Challenger first went into production, in 2008, most of us figured on a 5-year run, like the classic 1970-1974 Challenger. We never dreamed that it would last this long.

I know that no one can beat the longevity of the VW Beetle, but will 15 years be some kind of American record for a car using the same body?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  2. Wizard of Iz

Wizard of Iz Full Access Member

I have mixed feelings about this. It keeps my ‘15 looking current, but I am curious about how they’ll follow this one.

3. KEVIN DONOVAN

KEVIN DONOVAN Full Access Member

Oddly enough, if you're talking specifically about the years the VW Beetle was sold in this country, it actually had more body changes than the current generation Challenger. While the Beetle (and similarly the Porsche 911) have kept the same basic shape for what seems like forever, they actually have had more regular actual body changes than the current generation Challenger. In my mind, that just speaks to how well tuned in to their target market Dodge is, and proof of that is in the sales figures.

4. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

On the down side, the longevity of these cars hurts their collectibility. Back in 2008-2009, it was assumed that the Challenger would have a limited run and would be a collectible in the future. But with over 500,000 made, to date, that is not going to happen, with the exception of the Demon, Redeye and, perhaps, the Hellcat.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  5. KEVIN DONOVAN

KEVIN DONOVAN Full Access Member

After looking at recent years production figures, I'd say that while the Demon and maybe the Redeye might end up being collectables some day, the rest of the line are highly unlikely. The 1320 stands a decent chance but only time will tell.