Lucas oil additive

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Maintenance' started by Duck Johnson, Jan 25, 2022.

1. Duck Johnson

Duck Johnson Full Access Member

I’ve used Lucas oil additive in past vehicles and was very pleased, especially with my ram truck. I don’t need it now, but does anyone use the Lucas synthetic oil additive in their challenger? Remember I have a sxt.

2. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

If you use a quality oil, especially a full synthetic, oil additives are not necessary.

When you use a premium or higher quality motor oil, the necessary oil additives (anti-wear, friction modifiers) are already formulated into it. These highly engineered motor oils (e.g. Pennzoil Platinum and Mobil 1) include the perfect level and formulation of additives for the best engine performance.

Most motor oil additive treatments lay claim to do what a premium or highly engineered motor oil already does. The right motor oil simply offers better performance qualities and benefits than a separate additive treatment.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
  3. Gregory Cooper

Gregory Cooper Full Access Member

If your talking about the Lucas additive I know of, you would be adding a thicker, higher viscosity product thus increasing the viscosity of the oil. That is a BAD idea.
    As SRT Tom stated, that today's oils have everything your engine needs is an extremely accurate statement.
    Don't waste your money, nor your engine.

oldgeezer likes this.
  4. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

With today's tight engine tolerances, a full synthetic oil, with a multi-viscosity (low-high) is ideal. 0W-40 is recommended for my SRT Challenger (6.1L).

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
  5. 2009 Classic B5

2009 Classic B5 Full Access Member

As a former formulator of engine oils (Chevron Delo 400 and Synthetic passenger car oils), I do not see a need for supplemental additives in modern oils. These products are tested against very high performance standards using actual engine tests as well as laboratory tests. Both the conventional and synthetic oils pass all OEM requirements if they have the DELOS and API marks on the product. And essentially all do. The testing program stresses the oil so hard that under normal use (including racing), the oil will be perfect for the engine as long as it is changed regularly. I perfer 3000 mile drain interval, but 5000 miles is probably excellent as well. What I worry about with longer drain intervals is that people forget to change their oil and a 5000 mile drain becomes a 10,000 mile drain, and at that point there is potential for engine deposits and increased wear. So I simply don't take the chance and change early.

6. stingray

stingray Full Access Member

Is it the same with Fuel Treatment systems like Chevron Fuel Treatment or Chevron Fuel injection cleaners? In other words these gas tank additives aren't needed as long as you use a Top Tier Fuel?

7. 2009 Classic B5

2009 Classic B5 Full Access Member

Fuel quality has improved markedly over the years as OEM's have pushed for all fuels to have good additives for injector and valve cleanliness. I was at Chevron when Techron was developed and it does work very well at injector cleanliness, intake valve deposit control, and combustion chamber deposit control. So, Top Tier Gasolines have enough additive to maintain cleanliness, but Techron does remove deposits that have accumulated over time. So there are benefits to using Techron if your engine isn't idling properly (rough or inconsistent RPM) and a plug change doesn't help. Injector spray patterns do impact idle quality.

NC20RT and stingray like this.
  8. stingray

stingray Full Access Member

I have used both Chevron Techron products: Fuel Injection Cleaner and the Fuel Treatment System. The fuel injection cleaner bottle comes in one size and the Techron Gas treatment comes in 10 ounce, 12 ounce, 18 ounce, 32 ounces and there maybe other sizes too.

NC20RT likes this.
  9. Civitas7377

Civitas7377 Full Access Member