Mustang to Carry Ponycar Flag

Discussion in 'The Champagne Room' started by SRT-Tom, May 10, 2022.

1. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Super Moderator Article Writer

Car & Driver published an article, "The 2024 Ford Mustang will Attempt to Keep the Pony Car Alive."

Here are some excerpts from it:

"The 60th-anniversary 'Stang debuts next year, possibly on April 17, the day the original Mustang bowed at the 1964 New York World’s Fair.

Judging by the camouflaged mules we’ve seen roaming the streets of southeast Michigan, we don’t expect the exterior design to stray far from its current look. However, the interior will undergo a major makeover with a digital instrument cluster that wraps into a driver-focused infotainment touchscreen with added buttons for basic functions.

It’s no secret that the Camaro’s Alpha platform outhandles the Mustang’s current S550 chassis. Ford hopes to correct that with the seventh-generation car, dubbed the S650. Under the hood, expect the turbocharged 2.3-liter inline-four to produce around 320 horsepower, and we wouldn’t be surprised to see a hybrid variant join the herd. If a hybrid keeps the 450-plus-hp V-8s coming, we’re more than happy. If the hair-raising 760-hp supercharged 5.2-liter V-8 from the GT500 survives, we’ll be thrilled. A six-speed manual and a 10-speed automatic are likely to return.

Like the current-generation Mustang, the new S650 should have an eight-year life cycle, and expect the pack to add performance variants year after year. Those faster ponies might come fast though, as 2026 brings more stringent corporate average mpg requirements.

Though further details are still months away, we do know one thing: Ford and Multimatic Motorsports will produce a Mustang GT3 race car that’s set to debut at the 2024 Rolex 24 at Daytona. Could it spawn a Mustang GT3 for the street?"

[​IMG]

NC20RT likes this.
  2. NC20RT

NC20RT Full Access Member

Since I cancelled my subscription I really haven't missed much as the info is available on the Mustang forums. I appreciate you posting it though. :worthy:

I have some time to replace my '07 Mustang GT still before the V8 goes away. It will take years for me to save since I paid cash for my R/T in Nov 2020. I'm glad the V8 will still be here. I just hope the convertible will still be made or I'll be keeping my '07 until the end. My GT is still fine with 62,000 mostly highway miles on it. Just planning ahead.

Flaming Gorge Area Sept 2019 - Copy.JPG Grand Teton NP Sept 2019 (2) small.JPG Mustang and  RT (3).JPG

stingray and 70-426_10-SRT like this.
  3. fritzthecat

fritzthecat Active Member

I just love that license plate!

NC20RT likes this.
  4. stingray

stingray Full Access Member

Very nice two V8 to compliment each other with one a convertible.:driver: The only thing is the gasoline maybe around but at what cost?:eek:

5. stingray

stingray Full Access Member

Hertz Rent A Car will be renting these high powered GT-500 Mustangs to the public just like they did initially back in 1966 with the GT 350 and on the newer black versions.

6. NC20RT

NC20RT Full Access Member

Which one? The Hemi or the bear?