"New" 1970 Chevelle SS

Discussion in 'The Champagne Room' started by SRT-Tom, May 22, 2022.

1. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Super Moderator Article Writer

A few years back, Trans Am Worlwide made "replicas" of the Trans-Am Firebird and the GTO Judge using a modern Camaro body. Now, it is making a replica of a 1970 Chevelle SS. Once again, a modern Camaro body is being used as the base.

Personally, I would not buy one. Any takers?

Here is what Motor Biscuit had to say about it:

"Initially, there will be 25 Chevy 70/SS Chevelles built- either a GM 6.2-liter LT-1 with 450 hp or the LS6/X 454 with 1,500 horsepower to the rear wheels. Later, a 396 performance option will be available as well. All engine options will have either the manual or automatic transmissions.

The front end does a good job of mimicking the Chevelle starting with round LED headlights. The front bumper gets a bit blocky, and the lower valance is the same, but we can live with that given the effort. The optional chrome bumpers go a long way to mask the hard-edge pieces.

Of course, a cowl induction hood is there. The hard break in the side sheet metal, a Chevy styling cue found on many of its cars in this period, is there. Also worked into the fenders is the Chevelle’s soft bubble form over the wheel openings. Though the 1970 Chevelle was a refresh of the 1968 model, this was a distinctive feature starting in 1970. The lower sills tuck in hard as was a signature GM feature of the era. In the rear, the taillights and rear styling do a good job of aping the Chevelle. It too could use just a bit of softening, but especially from a distance, it looks very good. With the high H-point of the Camaro, it lends itself to the chunky Chevelle design.

Inside, the cabin stays pretty close to how Camaros come. A few touches and accents tie in the Chevelle theme. And a Hurst shifter, Corvette steering wheel, and leather seats add more features. Both original colors from 1970, as well as modern three-stage paint, will be offered.

Prices for the Chevy SS/70 Chevelle start at $150,000. Options will see that number increase. T/A Worldwide is taking orders now."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Green with Envy

Green with Envy Active Member

I'm a Mopar guy for sure and that's all I drive, but I can't help but love the overall look of this car. The stance, rear wheels being much larger than the front are perfect. Like I said l really like the look. Only issue for me is the price which is out of my range, I'd rather find a really nice 2010 Viper for 60 to 80 K or less if I could find one.

70-426_10-SRT likes this.
  3. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Super Moderator Article Writer

It was a good try, but it's still a cramped re-styled Camaro.

4. Moparisto

Moparisto Full Access Member

That is a demonstration of the concept of "Too little, too late."

GM and Ford fail at innovation and imitation.

Maybe they are working hard in Congress with bribes to eliminate Hemi V8's there also since they got them banned before from NHRA and NASCAR.