new info on the 'tune' of the 6.4

Discussion in 'Challenger SRT8 Engine & Performance Modifications' started by genotex, Jan 10, 2012.

1. genotex

genotex Full Access Member

this is from the President of MoPar.. in an interview posted today:
    QUOTE:
    MMM- Modern Mopar Magazine... PG: President Pietro Gorlier

MMM: The most common criticism that we receive about Mopar Performance is the inability to “tune” the new 6.4L HEMI. We’ve even talked with several tuner shops that say Chrysler is not only missing out on millions of dollars, but that they’re also losing customers who are going to other OEMs that make it much easier to perform engine modifications.

Is Mopar aware of this? Are there plans to open up these cars so that tuners can perform mods? And might we see the availability of superchargers and turbochargers in the future?

PG: We are well aware of the tuning issue because we have been listening closely. In fact, I have received a great number of letters from consumers expressing their discontent.

What I want people to understand is that we spent a great deal of time ‘righting the ship’ here at Chrysler and we had certain priorities that needed our attention first. But make no mistake about it, performance tuning is absolutely on the map for us. In fact, we will likely be working with several aftermarket tuners in order to address our ECM encryption. A strategy is in the process.

When it comes to superchargers and turbochargers, we’re looking at them just like we are tuning. It is part of our strategy.

Bottom line: stay tuned.

full story here:

http://www.modernmoparmagazine.com/...mopar-brand-president-and-ceo-pietro-gorlier/

2. jonmandude

jonmandude Full Access Member

It is a nice way to say "We are not making our encryption available any time soon, an we aren't giving you a supercharger either, but please keep buying our product"

3. Storm Rider

Storm Rider Full Access Member

Kinda makes the 5.7 more desirable.

4. genotex

you make a good point... is it "just" the 6.4 that is un-tune-able ??? Are newer 5.7s still okay with a DS Predator?!?!? I thought anything made 2011 and after had the 'rolling encryption' ????
    Is that incorrect ?

5. Storm Rider

Storm Rider Full Access Member

I don't know about the 2011, but 2010 can be hooked up to the Predator.

6. genotex

yes.. had the 10 challenger hooked up.. with the same tune i had on the 06 300csrt8... but with the 11 now, I'll just wait.. like the rest.. wringing my hands, sweat lying just under the browline, knowing that someday soon... baby.. .someday soon.... :)

7. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

Sounds good that "performance tuning is on the map," but I think that the guys with the 6.4 may be in for a wait.

8. heminit

heminit Full Access Member

I waited quite a while on the SuperChips for my 2003 Hemi Ram, I'm used to it.

9. Hemi671

Hemi671 Member

Exactly what Modern Mopar Magazine said.. Dodge is losing out on MILLIONS just because of this issue of the encrypted/untunable ECM. I have several friends that wanted to buy a 2011/2012 SRT-8 But after I bought mine and learned about this issue after I already installed everything I could with a check engine light illuminated and no way of shutting it off unless i take off the light bulb. My friends decided to buy Mustangs and Camaro's and now they are trying to convince me to sell mine and get a mustang GT-500. But because I already put $3000+ in aftermarket upgrades and I love the way my 2012 SRT-8 rides I will wait. Dodge marketing strategy right from the Presidents mouth that, it will come later and not sooner SUCKS ASS!! This should be of HIGH IMPORTANCE considering all the millions in Car sales they are losing to Chevy and Ford to include aftermarket parts. Its already bad enough that the SRT-8 is losing the HP power war with Camaro & Mustangs coming factory with superchargers and the price of the SRT-8 is just under a GT-500 but the GT has 650hp. Not to mention the Challengers also weight a ton more then the competition!! So.. bottom line is the Dodge President should really stop screwing around and put this issue on the top of the list if they want to keep up with the competition or the Challenger & Chargers will get left in the dust in HP as there sales are already behind.