NHRA Electric Car Class?

Discussion in 'Track Talk' started by SRT-Tom, Mar 2, 2021.

1. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

The writing is on the wall, guys.

Looking ahead to the next steps in the advancement of electric drag racing, NHRA has extended an open invitation to interested parties to participate in an open dialogue on the topic. This invitation includes, but is not limited to, OEM auto manufacturers, aftermarket parts suppliers, racecar builders, and companies that specialize in safety and fire suppression.

The first of numerous proposed meetings are scheduled to take place during the upcoming Amalie Motor Oil NHRA Gatornationals at Gainesville Raceway, March 12-14.

NHRA prepares for expansion of electric vehicle racing; calls for manufacturer and industry input | NHRA

[​IMG]

2. Katshot

Katshot Full Access Member

ZERO INTEREST.

3. 70-426_10-SRT

70-426_10-SRT B&E body lover

I'd drive one, at least twice down the track.

4. 70-426_10-SRT

Are you saying you won't want to try this out?

O.K. I guess this is more my liking :)

I could listen to him talk for hours. . . .

5. Katshot

Like I said, ZERO interest from me.
    To me, there's so much more to drag racing than a quick ET. Plus, at my age I don't like to go as fast as I used to. Nowhere near the speed freak I used to be. Ever since I broke my neck I'm much more in touch with my mortality.

6. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

I still miss the exhaust and engine sound. All you hear are the tires. Sounds like a giant slot car.

7. Katshot

If nothing else, electric cars should please the neighbors. For me, it’s not very interesting. I like the noise. The smells. Checking out the different cars mods etc. I also like watching guys make their runs. Seeing a guy lose a race cause he missed a shift. With electric cars it’s just line up and push the GO pedal(switch). Yawn!

8. 70-426_10-SRT

:facepalm:

How is this in unlike PUTTING it in DRIVE and pressing the gas?

Trucks and Muscle Cars need a clutch :driver:

9. Katshot

You’re preaching to the choir my friend. I’ve been a lifetime proponent of manual transmissions in sports cars. Slightly less important on muscle cars but I’d still say it would generally be my preferred transmission there as well.
    I’m well known for bashing people who not only design sports cars with automatic transmissions but those who buy them.
    All I can say is..things change.
    Change #1: My left knee can’t handle a clutch anymore.
    Change #2: Many modern manual transmissions and clutch systems suck.
    Change #3: More and more automatic transmissions are really well sorted out. Great programming as well as mechanical actuation.
    Fortunately for me, the A8 trans in the Challenger is a great performing transmission. Unfortunately for me, the couple M6 cars I drove really impressed me as well. Of course I have no idea how the manual transmissions hold up over time but I really would consider a manual in a Challenger, even with my knees.
    IMO, the manual vs auto question is more involved than most people think. In the Challenger, the manual car has a completely different feel from the auto car. The manual car is a much more “calm” ride where the auto car feels much more “tense” experience.
    I fell in love with the relaxed manual car but since I couldn’t find the car I wanted in manual, I went with the auto. After a year, I’m happy with my car and not totally sure which trans I would choose if I bought a new car. Both cars have pros and cons so it’s just not as simple as one might think.

10. FrankenMax

FrankenMax Full Access Member

NHRA is fueled by recycled dinosaur bones. Electric vehicles will castrate motorsports and the automotive hobby by feeding into the EPA’s hand. What’s next? Save the dinosaurs campaign... I heard the NRA is creating a NERF class. All of the projectiles are made from recycled flowers. Rose projectiles are not permitted, because they’re not sensitive enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk