Normal temps for SRT 392?

Discussion in 'Challenger Mechanical Problems Forum | TSB's' started by Xterminator, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Xterminator

Xterminator New Member

Hi,

I've been having some overheating issues with the 2011 SRT 392 I just got (haven't even been able to drive it for 2 weeks after getting it :(), and after having the t-stat and coolant reservoir replaced and a full fluid flush, it is still getting up to about 230-240 after just 10-15 minutes of driving. It has been quite hot here in Colorado, around 85-95 and it was all in stop and go traffic. The guy at the repair shop said that even just sitting still and idling and revving it to about 3k RPM for a few minutes, it hit about 230.

He said he did some research and found that Challengers just run hot by nature. However, 230-240 seems way too hot to me to be considered normal. I mean that's like boiling point, and I don't think you want your coolant boiling right?

I've never owned a Challenger before this, so perhaps I just don't know all the info. Hoping you guys can give some insight on if that is in fact normal and safe, and if it's not, what else could possibly be wrong at this point.

Thanks!

2. Hopslayer

Hopslayer Full Access Member

I have the 305 V6, but that definitely doesn’t seem normal. I believe 212 degrees is the normal boiling point. Is your fan working correctly? Just replaced the fan in my wife’s Jeep Renegade, because it was not working and caused her Jeep to run hot like that.

3. Xterminator

Xterminator New Member

I never really noticed the fan being on, but I asked the mechanic when I talked to them today and they said they checked and it is running. That is a good thought and something that occurred to me too, but seems that's not the issue unless the mechanic is BSing me.

4. IntimidatorRT

IntimidatorRT Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator

need to put a 180 degree thermostat in that thing.

5. 2017 Redline HC

2017 Redline HC 2021 Durango RT

Is there any chance your displayed temp is wrong?
    I would think there’s a way to check your coolant temps to confirm.

6. IntimidatorRT

IntimidatorRT Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator

i run a 180 degree thermostat in mine and it usually runs around 186 most of the time, winter it usually gets down to 180.