Norwalk, OH Hemi Shootout T&T rounds.

Discussion in 'Track Talk' started by gostro, Sep 4, 2022.

1. gostro

gostro Full Access Member

For you racing fans, here's a couple Vids from last weekend's NMCA hemi shootout event in Norwalk, OH. Summit Motorsports Park. A few more to come when I get the chance to edit them together. Was practicing foot-brake and launch RPM variations, these two weren't my best. About 12.5 seconds apiece. Tightened it up for the competition, had an 12.24 average. A little better air and a little less weight, I should be in solid 12.0 contention. Looking forward to Indianapolis in a few weeks!

Moparisto, B5blueRT and 70-426_10-SRT like this.
  2. bobbymac

bobbymac Full Access Member

Gustro --- racing my 1320 oct 1st...Has 150 miles on it... Have to power brake it as you know.. Not enough miles on it yet... Will be very happy if in the low 12's
    What rpm you think would be good for power brake. Me --- I think 2K would be good???? Have slicks and shaft loop required for slicks,,, Hoosier Slicks 8 x 10 they say,,, What tire press do you advise??? Need help on this from a experienced guy... bbmac

gostro likes this.
  3. Moparisto

Moparisto Full Access Member

I found it fascinating to know one drag strip being refurbished had a concrete launch pad that was actually heated. With a warm launch pad, the cooler air of the fall should make for some great times. I don't know how many drag strips actually have that feature, but, to my mind, they all should.

In FACT, some cold-weather-specific tires could help people really do well, especially those with boosted engines, as they would then be able to take full advantage of the cold air.

In fact, minus 30 or lower would be great weather for strip times if one had the traction.

at 10:1 compression, an engine would be experiencing 100 degrees lower temperature at TDC or so for every 10 degrees of temperature drop. An engine run at minus 40 (manifold intake air temp) instead of plus 110 would be seeing a 1500 degree drop in compressed temperature.

The power output would be amazing with the spark being able to be advanced, possibly automatically by the computer, to a substantial degree, and the efficacy of the aftercoolers at minus 40 would be amazing. Boosted engines LOVE cold air.

If I were super-rich, I'd likely build a covered drag strip in Alaska, near sea level for ultimate air density. No, if I wanted ULTIMATE air density, a strip deep down in the bottom of the world's deepest salt mine would likely be the way to go. All that free air pressure!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2022
    gostro likes this.
  4. gostro

Bobby -

I would recommend just launching off of idle, at first. I have been practicing my footbrake technique and launch RPM as of late. I've launched as high as about 2500rpm - right up to the limit of our stall converter. HOWEVER - In comparing a varying range of launch efforts - from around 1,000 RPM up to 2,500 RPM - I have noticed that my 60ft time actually increases. My very best pass was an 11.974, leaving directly off of idle, in decently cool morning air at Indianapolis. My 60-ft time was somewhere around 1.73 secs. Other launches in varying air conditions have also pretty consistently yielded around 1.73 - 1.75 secs. So, I could be having a very slight amount of slip at launch while foot braking. Not even detectable in the "feel" of things, but just enough to hurt the 60ft time. When foot braking lately, my 60ft times were up in the mid to high 1.8 sec. range. I am still trying to work this out and will "research" some more at indy. But, thus far and from what some others with 1320s have been saying, it seems the car REALLY likes to just launch off of idle, or at most with only a little foot brake action. So, I would recommend starting with going off idle, then as you do more passes, try footbraking and slowly increase your rpms to the point where you're getting the best 60ft time possible, as that makes a big difference in the quarter mile. Hope this helps!

Moparisto and 70-426_10-SRT like this.
  5. Moparisto

Moparisto Full Access Member

nice.

gostro likes this.
  6. bobbymac

Launch off idle? Will do.. I appreciate your taking the time to reply to me....
    I would like to launch off line lock. Have no line lock until 500 miles on my 1320...
    Just checking but I read some where our 1320's have a 2900 rpm stall convert-a in the trans?

Oct 1st coming fast. Have my tickets.. Have my track guy set up... My sister Sue if he can't make it...Hey she has had two 1969 Camaro's. three motor cycles.... I guess she will do. Little sisters surprise us sometimes..

Next comes the shift. Let the trans do it - use the paddle shifts - use the manual auto matic? ??????
    Hit rev limiters or try not to??? This new drag track on the island is 1/8 mile. Fine with me...

I thank you gostro

Moparisto and gostro like this.
  7. gostro

Bobby -

I'm pretty sure 2500 stall, but maybe I'm wrong by a few hundred? Lol I'll have to check again, I guess... For your first passes, I would recommend just leaving everything in auto, let the car do its thing. Less to focus on until you're feeling good about it. You can use paddle shifters if you want to and are comfortable with it. I've used mine a couple times. Once by intention and another by accidentally hitting the paddle and engaging it on launch lol. Took it right up to the red line each shift. I forget what RPM the limiter is. I think 6200... You'll be surprised just how hard and fast this thing shifts.

One thing I noticed from what you said above - don't confuse line lock and Trans brake. Line lock is for your burnout. Trans brake is for the launch. And I wouldn't even CONTEMPLATE trying trans brake until you've got some time to screw around with it. Even then, most have said it makes no difference vs. Foot brake. I've tried it, with about a 50% success rate. If you screw up the procedure, the car goes into "limp" mode. And it's very easy to screw up the procedure!

Also - you should really try to get the break in miles beforehand. It won't let you do drag mode or any of that stuff until you hit 500 miles. I'd go do some cruising, break it in more first before you go. You've got some time to do it. And for me personally, I think it's necessary. Some guys argue no, with modern engines. I know I broke mine in low and slow even past the 500 mile period. I think I had about 1500 on mine when I made it to the track the first time. There is a break-in procedure listed in the manual, I'd read it over and try to finish off those few hundred miles you've got left to go, using their recommendations. Vary your speed, no wide open throttle between certain rpms, etc. You didn't just buy it to let it sit, right? ;):driver:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
  8. bobbymac

Still working on it. I got rained out the first.... Disappointing but we don't drag in da rain,,,
    Hopefully will be going this week end... Right now it is setting on a new trailer I bought,,, Believe me I never trailered a car anywhere... When I bought it this covid crap came around. Wife didn't want me going anywhere. Then I got sick.... Car has 120 miles on it.... You are right about braking it in... However -- I am going racing like it or not.... LOL I rebuilt more then one engine. And other then breaking in the cam . It was get in it and go after that....
    Thanks again for all the tips.... Will let you know my time,,,, bobbymac

gostro likes this.
  9. gostro

Looking forward to hearing your results, Bobby!

10. bobbymac

Sorry guy but I think you over did it a bit or you are f'en nuts... LY bobbymac