Nothing like using an Old School tool to maintain Modern Muscle

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Maintenance' started by Wizard of Iz, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Wizard of Iz

Wizard of Iz Full Access Member

I know that Oil Changes are relatively cheap insurance .... but it does seem almost wasteful to change Full Synthetic oil after only 3,200 miles just because six months had passed. Oh well ... what Dodge wants ... Dodge gets.

I prefer to shop local ... but it's tough to find a deal on Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-40 locally. The last two or three changes I've done happened to coincide with sales at either NAPA or Pep Boys. Not so lucky this time. So, this time I found a deal on Amazon for 6 quarts at $48.17. But the same seller wanted $16.10 for a single quart so I grabbed the 7th quart from O'Reilly for $10.49.

By the way ... some areas might still have Pep Boys working to get rid of their retail operations. There was no 0W-40 available in my area but the Full Synthetic that they did have was cheap ... very cheap ... $3.42 per quart. However, you could only put 1 quart in your cart.

5237671D-CBEA-453D-8F98-0AAACDC56564.jpeg 9A5255CF-B2A7-4706-A415-9D144D15EE48.jpeg

70-426_10-SRT likes this.
  2. TRCM

TRCM Full Access Member

I have the same seller on amazon saved...but I'm just gonna buy 2 - 6 packs.....eventually, it'll even out just right.......

Wizard of Iz likes this.
  3. Hopslayer

Hopslayer Full Access Member

I use Amsoil Signature Series. Change it once every 25,000 miles or once per year.

4. TRCM

TRCM Full Access Member

I keep it per Dodges' instructions.......I mean they did just replace my engine and transmission under warranty because I do.....

Maybe when the warranty is up in FEB 2022....................

Silver Ghost likes this.
  5. Wizard of Iz

I thought about doing the same thing. But I'm not sure how much longer I'll keep the car and it doesn't zero out until you buy 7 cases (42 quarts) which will take care of 6 oil changes. And there just aren't that many engines that take 0W-40.

Sadly, I still have some Mobil1 5W-30 on a shelf that was purchased in bulk when I owned a 2005 Pontiac GTO. I sold that car in 2013 and I haven't owned anything since then that takes that viscosity.

6. Wizard of Iz

While I still have a sliver of the Factory Warranty on the car; I'm adhering to their schedule. Amsoil Signature Series is very good oil and meets Dodge's spec. But Dodge has this crazy 6 month / 6,000 mile change interval to maintain the warranty.

7. TRCM

TRCM Full Access Member

Well, I have a 2012 Ram Laramie I got brand new., and it has less than 33,500 miles on it (takes 5W-20).....oil gets changed once a year no matter what

I had a 79 Ramcharger (see avatar) I kept for almost 20 yrs......put straight 30w in it.

Got a 96 Cherokee I have had for over 10 yrs now..........and an 88 cherokee with 385k on the ticker....I've had for over 14 yrs.....

I could see me keeping this car for awhile too.......so I'm not really worried about it..........worst case, I sell the oil or give it to the new owner.....

When I got the car, PO gave me a 7 qts of oil, 2 SRT filters, a gallon of anti-freeze, and 3 cabin air filters still in the plastic bags....plus all the factory stuff (air box and such).

And he paid the 50 bucks to transfer the maxcare warranty to me.....

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    Wizard of Iz likes this.
  8. IntimidatorRT

IntimidatorRT Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator

I change mine every 5,000 miles weather it be my Ram or my challenger and my wifes charger. I only put about 5,000 a year on my challenger, but 5,000 miles on my ram and wifes charger usually get to about 50% oil usage when I change it.

9. Hopslayer

Hopslayer Full Access Member

How would they ever know how often you changed it? I wonder if you would have to show receipts or something? I put around 10,000 miles on per year and use the best oil available. I’m not really concerned with having a problem due to my oil. I think it would be good for double the time I’m using it.

10. Wizard of Iz

I fully believe that using a high-quality oil like Amsoil Signature or Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and a high-quality oil filter like the SRT 041 would give me at least 10,000 miles of service.

But I certainly can't afford a team of lawyers if it ever comes to a warranty dispute with Dodge. So, for now, I'll play by their rules. Part of the reason for posting the oil change here and on our local Mopar group's Facebook page is to create a dated visual record of the work being done. Plus I do save the receipts and I log the service in the car's history on Mopar.com as well as in my personal service log for the vehicle.

Silver Ghost and Hopslayer like this.