Octane level gasoline?

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Maintenance' started by Duck Johnson, Feb 9, 2022.

1. Duck Johnson

Duck Johnson Full Access Member

I’m sorry to keep putting up post, but I really enjoy picking your brains. My question is what octane gas should I put in my sxt. The dealership said put in at least 91. I asked my buddies at the vfw and they said it was a waste of money. I put in 93 octane the first time and mid grade 89 the last two times. The owners manual said low grade for the six cylinder engine. What do you guys think? I want to keep my car running good

2. NC20RT

NC20RT Full Access Member

Owner's manual is the only opinion that counts. They built the car and they know what works best. Your VFW buddies are correct. Save yourself some $$$.

I do understand your hesitation as I am still inclined (just a dumb feeling) to put premium in my R/T when it only requires 89 (owner's manual). I've been remembering well but I have to hesitate sometimes at the pump and think about it. :shakehead:

70-426_10-SRT likes this.
  3. 70-426_10-SRT

70-426_10-SRT B&E body lover

4. bobbymac

bobbymac Full Access Member

Been told the same as you many times,,, If it says 91 0ctane and I feel like 93 - my problem not theirs. Ever here of an engine braking down because they used a higher octane the in the book??? One thing for sure - don't use lower - you might hear some ping ing going on.
    Also read - an extra octane raises the HP 3 to 5 numbers... bobby mac

5. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

Use the octane that is specified in your owner's manual. The engineers designed the 3.6 to run on 87 octane. A higher octane, like 91 or 93, WILL NOT increase your horsepower.

If your engine is not pinging on 87 octane, why would you spend more money to buy a higher octane whose sole purpose is to prevent pinging (pre-detonation) in high horsepower/high compression engines, like the 6.4?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2022
  6. Larry St Denis

Larry St Denis Full Access Member

Think higher octane, higher resistance to burn. High octane gas will absolutely not make more HP in a lower compression engine. More power is made by increasing compression ratio requiring a higher octane level so gas doesn’t detonate prematurely. The opposite is also true, putting high octane gas in an engine not designed for it will not burn properly and long term usage will foul the engine with excess carbon.

7. Cloverdale

Cloverdale Full Access Member

Yes, seems many of us are obsessed with accessing all available hp from our octane choice. Currently considering a $900 E85 kit to gain a couple of octane points over pump 91 rather than paying for 94. For those of us with automatics who want a significant acceleration boost the place to start is with a rear diff ratio change (I'm installing a 3.91 set-up which in my case also requires a compatible axle shaft change) as soon as the whether warms at a cost of $2k for parts.

8. HellKitten

HellKitten Full Access Member

Like the other member said, you would need a tune, which can gain you 40hp/40tq @ the wheels.. Livernois or [email protected] These tuners done there home work on the 3.6

9. Wm TPA SXT

Wm TPA SXT Full Access Member

Your not gonna wake up 40hp with a 3.6 20 to 22max according to Hemi Fever when I contacted them using 89 Non Ethanol over that no more gains for the 3.6 its just
    wasting money.