Oil Filter Comparison

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Maintenance' started by SRT-Tom, Dec 26, 2018.

1. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Full Access Member

This is an interesting oil filter comparison in which 5 filters are cut open to reveal their internal construction. Here is the order of preference:

1. NAPA Gold
    2. Wix
    3. Bosche and Purolator
    4. Fram

2. ZEN357

ZEN357 Full Access Member

I used to run K&N until I saw a K&N and a Mopar cut open. The Mopar was way better in the comparison video.

3. IntimidatorRT

IntimidatorRT Moderator Staff Member

been running K&N in mine since I bought it in 2011. no problems at all.

4. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Full Access Member

Here are three short videos by Pat Goss (Motor Week) explaining how you can incur costly engine damage if you use cheap and inferior oil filters.

B5blueRT likes this.
  5. Hopslayer

Hopslayer Full Access Member

I put a K&N in the first time I changed the oil. Might use an Amsoil one next time, as I can get Amsoil cheaper than Royal Purple.

6. 2009 Classic B5

2009 Classic B5 Member

It would be interesting to hear what Fram has to say about their product, but I bet nothing ever happens. Fram should meet minimum OEM requirements but that is only the minimum. If you change oil frequently there should be essentially nothing to filter out. Wear debris should be minimal if non-existent until near failure time. So I still recommend changing oil frequently to avoid the problems of filtration altogether. But I will change my filter selection to Napa or Wix because of this article. I don't believe there will be any advantage to filters marketed by oil companies as they will have filters made for them. Much like NAPA/Wix and Purolator/Bosch. Same filter, different brand name.