Opinions needed

Discussion in 'Prospective Challenger Owners Forum' started by kzanard, Dec 21, 2018.

1. kzanard

kzanard New Member

OK, I had a 2012 SRT8 Challenger for 4 yrs and loved it. After a while it was time for a change and I went back to Ford. Fast forward, now I am ready to go back to a Challenger. This will be my weekend only car (not a daily driver).

I had my heart set on another SRT 392 as I like look & all the bells and whistles and do not plan on modding it much. With my budget, I have been researching 2015 & 2016 (and I am starting to see some '17) SRT's. My main dilemma is I am worried about getting a used car that may be out of warranty. I just started researching other trims (Scat Pack, Shaker 392, R/T 392, etc) and for the same money I see a lot of newer 2017/2018 cars in these trims. The main benefit of these would be the warranty and some newer tech (better Uconnect, etc).

My question is, what would you do? In my heart I really prefer the SRT's, but I can't ignore the value of the other, newer trims (after all, the main feature - the engine - is the same as the SRT). For the 15/16 SRT's, the powertrain warranty should still apply, correct? Decisions, decisions....

2. 70-426_10-SRT

70-426_10-SRT B&E body lover

DON'T SETTLE, buy what you really want.

I wanted a 2010 SRT-8 because I had a 1970 (the whole 40 years after thing)
    I looked at R/T's and drove some, but really wanted BLACK, 6-speed, SRT

Took me many years, then found this 2010 with only 8,505 miles.
    At no less a Subaru Used car lot.
    The salesman offered a 3-year 30k aftermarket warrantee, which I said I would think about.
    Got to looking, and the same company offered a 6-year, 120k warrantee for $1500
    and I just take it to the Chrysler Garage or the Mechanic of my choice.
    I only wanted it for Big Ticket Items, but covers just about everything.

Welcome back to the Dark Side :)

Tonedeafaudio and kzanard like this.
  3. IntimidatorRT

IntimidatorRT Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator

you can still buy an extended warranty, I have a 2009 RT and have been doing that since I bought it used back in 2011. they have different levels that you can buy. just pick the one that suits you the best.

kzanard likes this.
  4. Tatt2Jack

Tatt2Jack Full Access Member

Just me sure ur Warranty includes "Seals n Gaskets". Its that big if deal!

kzanard likes this.
  5. IntimidatorRT

when i got mine, I made sure that engine, drive-line and electrical was cover with what I am paying. that is the most important parts to me that will cost a ton of money if repaired or replaced.

kzanard likes this.
  6. Tatt2Jack

If ur Tanny (engine, rear, etc) fails and they "determine" that iit s because a Seal failure then the repair WON'T be covered unless your policy specifically includes Seals and Gaskets. Some years ago we got a used Jeep Grand Cherokee from a Dealer and when it came to buying an extended warranty the guy doing the paperwork said "if I were doing this I would spend the extra" I( don't know, I think it was $100 or so) and get the one it's includes seals and gaskets". About two or two and a half years later we had an axle bearing go bad and when the service guy was telling me how much it was I said it's covered under the warranty he said no, the Extended Warranties won't cover because it was a seal failure. But I informed him mine did. Maybe ... all of them do now a days, BUT it doesnt hurt to ask.

.... just saying

kzanard likes this.
  7. 70-426_10-SRT

70-426_10-SRT B&E body lover

Damn, now I am going to have to pull up the policy when I get home. . . .

Funny, we bought my wife's Grand Cherokee new, off the lot in 2006, and I had to replace both rear seals, and both front hubs, like 2-months after the factory warranty expired.

8. Tatt2Jack

The WJ I was referring to was bought back in '05, it was an '02 Limited. BUT still could've had the same rear, I don't remember whether it was a Dana 35 or the Chrysler 8.25. BUT it did cause me ask more questions about what was included. Before that I just assumed ...

9. oknahs

oknahs Member

My daughter wanted a weekend cruise car when she graduated from college so we chipped in and got a 2012 Challenger 392 blue pearl metallic with the silver stripe. She's a busy millennial getting married having two children and just got into a new home. Dad, me that is has been using it locally and just turned 4900 miles. A 2012 that is. Our local cruises in the eastern suburbs of PGH PA are very close within 10 miles everyday of the week.

If you plan on getting a weekend cruiser forget about the warranty. Buy a low mileage private owner since you can see how this person lives, keeps his home and yard and his daily drivers. Dealers can make a used run down car look like new. Never buy from a dealer. Finance thru a credit union, you don't have to be a current member either. Clearview is a good one. Good look.

Doug

kzanard likes this.
  10. IntimidatorRT

well sir I beg to differ, as I bought mines used from a dealer in New Jersey. I drove 1300 miles from Louisiana to get the car. i financed the car through FCA and got a good interest rate and also got a payment I was satisfied with. I still have the car after 8 years and I still can get an extended warranty on it even with it having 97,000 miles on it.

kzanard likes this.