Paint Protection

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger Cleaning and Detailing Forum' started by FrostBite RT, Jul 6, 2020.

1. FrostBite RT

FrostBite RT New Member

Has anybody done either a clear bra or a ceramic coating for paint protection? Just wondering pros and cons of either type.

2. Katshot

Katshot Full Access Member

Never done anything more than an annual wax. Ok, maybe semi-annual. Some people swear by ceramic coatings but from what I've heard, many aren't all that good and it really depends heavily on who's doing it.

3. 10DYRT

10DYRT Full Access Member

Had the Ceramic Pro done 4 years ago. Best thing ever, just hose it down a bit of rubbing to get the bugs off the front. It made the car look better than new according to my wife.
    The only con is that you have to take it in once a year to have them "touch it up'. Also go with the platinum package as the regular that we put on my wife's car doesn't have the just waxed feel to it. They even do the wheels and calipers, brake dust just hoses off.

4. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

I don't like the look of front-end bras. For paint chip protection, 3M film is preferable.

I haven't tried ceramic coatings. I use Meguiars Ultimate Polish, Wax and Detail Spray on my 2009 SRT and it looks showroom new.

5. Wizard of Iz

Wizard of Iz Full Access Member

Personally, I don't like the line that's annoyingly visible when you're up-close to the car. However, I know a number of people with clear bras on their cars and they say they like it. My observation is that there's a big difference between products because I've seen some that have yellowed or browned over time.

A BUNCH of guys in our local Mopar club have had a ceramic coating applied to their vehicle and they ALL say it's the best thing they ever did. Water falls off of the car. Dust blows off of the car. Brake dust stays off of the wheels. Having said that ... I don't care for the look. To me ... it's too shiny. Too mirror-like. I prefer the rich, deep, glow of carnauba wax. But that's my personal preference and as the saying goes, "your results may vary."

I admit that I don't know everything there is to know about ceramic coatings. But if one of the selling points is that it dries to a strong protective coating, then what happens when it's applied to surfaces that are meant to flex .... like the front and rear bumper covers? I've been told that you should discard the microfiber towels you use in conjunction with installing a true ceramic coating because the residue will dry into ceramic shards. If that's true, then I can see it possibly hindering the flexibility properties of the bumper covers.

6. B5blueRT

B5blueRT Full Access Member

I think we're seeing a shift from conventional liquid and paste products to these new "spray and wipe" sealants and coatings. At first, the clay bar and ceramic coatings were only available to professionals. Now Mothers, Maguires, Turtle Wax and others are selling their versions at retail stores. Today's younger owners are looking for quick and easy solutions, they have better things to do than spend a Saturday detailing their car.
    I wouldn't pay $1,000+ for a professional ceramic coating application, but I've used some of these spray and wipe coatings that protect from 3 months to 1 year with decent results providing you start with a clean surface. It's hard to imagine that something you can spray on a car, rinse with water and dry could even work. Then there are the spray-wipe-walk away and spray-wipe-buff products.

7. Wizard of Iz

Wizard of Iz Full Access Member

I think you're exactly right!

And I admit that I don't break out the clay bar, polishers, pads, compound, polish, wax, and microfibers as often as I once did.

But, I get it. People's time is short and therefore more valuable and they want an easy, quick fix. Hopefully, I'll continue to at least have the option to use Carnauba.

8. Katshot

Katshot Full Access Member

When I was a kid I used to wax my cars and bikes every week or so. Years later I owned a detailing company. Usually detailed at least a couple dozen cars a week. Only did my own stuff every couple months or so. Now I'm retired and I maybe get my cars detailed once or twice a year. A spray and wipe product sounds good!

B5blueRT and Wizard of Iz like this.
  9. 2017 Redline HC

2017 Redline HC 2021 Durango RT

B5blueRT and Wizard of Iz like this.
  10. B5blueRT

B5blueRT Full Access Member

The days of Blue Coral are over... for those that remember its 3 step process. :)

Wizard of Iz likes this.