Perspective

Discussion in 'The Champagne Room' started by Hopslayer, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Hopslayer

Hopslayer Full Access Member

I had to leave a Challenger group on Facebook because the majority of the Hemi owners on that page said that the ONLY reason anyone would buy a V6 Challenger was because they couldn't afford the Hemi.

When I was looking for a Challenger to buy, I went online and saw several in the area. I saw some older ones that had the 5.7 hemi, some others that had the 6.4 hemi, and eventually decided to pay MORE than those cars in the 2009-2015 range for a 2017 V6 with 4100 miles on it that had all of the features I wanted. I chose the SXT Plus, with fog lights, leather seats, 20 inch wheels, and more. I was never going to race anybody and didn't plan on going through a bunch of tires doing burnouts. I'd probably buy the same car tomorrow if someone gave me $100,000, instead of getting a Hellcat. I just didn't want or need the extra hp for my purposes. Others do.

Anyway, I was just wondering if I am alone on this, of not. I can't believe I am the only person who chose the V6 when they could have easily bought a different Challenger with a hemi. Am I?

Tillman7777, synoptic12 and B5blueRT like this.
  2. 2010RT

2010RT Full Access Member

You do what makes sense and makes you feel right. When I bought my first bike I bought a Gold Wing....I road with guys with Harleys who couldn’t care less what I road. I eventually traded in on an HD Ultra because I didnt care for the riding position.
    Long story short dont sweat what others think. Be your own person! And :flipthebird: to those who stick there nose where it shouldn’t be...just my 2 cents worth.

hungrylikawolf and Hopslayer like this.
  3. 70-426_10-SRT

70-426_10-SRT Full Access Member

Drive what you like, and Facebook can go to hell.

Big reason I held out for the SRT was the factory mods
    And the cool seats :)
    O, and the 6-speed but could have got that with the R/T

synoptic12 and Hopslayer like this.
  4. B5blueRT

B5blueRT Full Access Member

Get what you want, it's your money. Unless you live in an area where you can really (safely) open it up or go to the strip a lot, all that horsepower doesn't mean much, it's the torque that you feel when you accelerate from a stop. My traffic is a majority of suburban/city streets with some populated rural roads. 0-35, 0-45 and 0-55 mph are the norm around here. All the interstates have traffic. The 3.6 and the 5.7 have enough torque so you feel it pushing you back in the seat. If I had any trouble driving my 5.7 this past winter I was ready to trade it in on the V6 AWD GT and wouldn't have any regrets.
    With the exhaust, engine, cosmetic mods along with that Pedal Commander you installed gives you everything you were looking for... the sound, acceleration and personalized look of a R/T or SRT. Be proud!

5. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Full Access Member Article Writer

Just be proud of what you own.

Yesterday, I saw a 2018 SXT with an SRT emblem on its rear spoiler. That guy was a poser.

Hopslayer likes this.
  6. Hopslayer

I bought what I wanted and I like what I bought. Thank you.

4F968CFA-475A-4BA2-B35F-D50EBD5DDF35.jpeg

7. Hopslayer

That’s another interesting point. A doubt a non-Challenger owner knows the differences between all the trim levels. I bet if I put a Hellcat badge on my V6, 19 of 20 people would not question it. Another reason why I don’t understand why some hemi owners bash V6 owners. Other than the engine, transmission and suspension, which nobody can see just by looking at the car, they are about identical. The old ones had some slight changes each year.

B568FF33-70D6-49A9-BC36-4B37EBCD64D9.jpeg

8. ZEN357

ZEN357 Full Access Member

I have both a 2016 R/T Plus with the 5.7 Hemi/6-Speed/3.90's and a 2018 SXT Plus with the V-6/8-Speed Auto/3.08's. The SXT will Rock N' Roll on the highway. I put that thing in manual mode and use the HellCat Paddle shifter I installed and I can be doing 80 mph like right now. Screw those @55h0l3s!!!! Personally I think the V-6 could take a 5.7 Hemi off the line if the driver knows what he's doing!!!! :)

2016 R/T Plus

IMG_20181006_150919.jpg

2018 SXT Plus

IMG_20190607_140057.jpg

Hopslayer likes this.
  9. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Full Access Member Article Writer

When Dodge developed the 3.6L engine, it was a big improvement over the 3.5L engine.

Its quarter mile time of 14.8 sec. is about the same as the 1970 340 (14.9 sec.) and the 383 (14.6 sec.).

Hopslayer likes this.
  10. Hopslayer

I don’t have access to a track around here, but I have done 5.9 seconds on the built in 0-60 timer. That’s not too shabby I thought for a stock motor. My times lately have not been quite as good, and I don’t know why that would be. Could it be the exhaust work I had done? Dirty injectors?