1. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

I have always kept my Challenger immaculate. I use Meguiars Ultimate Wax and Ultimate Detail Spray.

After watching some detailing videos, experts recommend using polish before waxing to provide a deep shine and remove any swirl marks. Meguiars makes an Ultimate Polish that I am thinking of using this Spring.

Has anyone used polish and what was the result?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  2. jim

jim Full Access Member

I'm far from an expert.
    Here's what I do.
    Clay bar first. Then,
    using my Porter Cable sponge pad, I apply Meguiars no. 7 glaze. Then remove most of the glaze with a towel.
    Next apply Meguiars Yellow Wax using the P. C. sponge pad .
    Remove most of the wax using towel.
    Then buff out with P. C. buffing pad.
    As an option,Lastly, you can mist with just a TINY bit of water and spit shine rubbing only in the direction of the length of the car.

3. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

I discovered an excellent series of informative videos on Meguiars' web site. They cover Meguiars' 5-Step process to an award-winning finish. Well worth viewing.

The tip with polish is to apply it sparingly on a foam applicator and rub it lightly into a small 12" by 12" area (make 6 passes), and then remove with a clean microfiber towel after 30 seconds. Make sure your car's surface is cool to the touch. If you let the polish dry, it is difficult to remove. You'll have to get it off by applying additional polish.

Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle - Updated!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  4. dcharlz

dcharlz Member

I've seen lots of Youtube vids that offer tips and tricks for polishing.

5. William Thacher

William Thacher Active Member

I just used the Ultimate Polish on my Mother's 1998 Olds 98 (64,000 org. miles). It really brought the color back, deep blue/green, and gave the car a noticeable "shine". I followed up with Maguire's Gold Class Carnauba Plus Paste Wax. Came out like a new car.

6. Go Mango

Go Mango Member

Just purchased my R/T a few days ago. I used Mothers Clay, Griots Complete Compound because the detailer at the dealership didn't do a good job and finished it with Collinite 845. FYI, Blackfire does make an excellent polish also. I usually use that, but needed to do a little more aggressive work and used a compound instead.

DSC01429 (2).jpg

7. hoseraee

hoseraee Active Member

I use of the same method as jim for the initial prep wash and wax every 4 months. But for maintenance between
    it's Mcguiars Ultimate Polish first and Ultimate Liquid wax last. I wash at a touchless auto wash and towel dry. once over w/polish and again with wax, it takes about an hour total and my 2012 R/Ts original paint looks like new

8. Hopslayer

Hopslayer Full Access Member

I just bought the TORQ Kit from Chemical Guys. Had a lot of light scratches and swirl marks. Now I don't. I used up two of the 4 ounce bottles of polish it came with and have two more 16 ounce bottles coming tomorrow. I also bought their clay block kit. It was $19 and works much better than using actual clay bars. It says you can do up to 200 cars with it. I was amazed at how well it worked.

Bacon Sandwich likes this.
  9. 2017 Redline HC

2017 Redline HC 2021 Durango RT

What does the clay block kit consist of? Do you have a link?
    I’m surprised you got rid of the scratches with a polish, I had to use a compound first and then followed with polish and wax.

10. B5blueRT

B5blueRT Full Access Member

Polish? No, I'm Slovak!