pros & cons of turning MDS off ?

Discussion in 'Challenger R/T Engine & Performance Modifications' started by Model maker, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Model maker

Model maker Full Access Member

I am hearing a lot about timing chain failures because of MDS. I heard somewhere that MDS can be turned off. What are the pros & cons of doing this and can you still drive in automatic mode without MDS ?
    Bert

2. Storm Rider

Storm Rider Full Access Member

You can still drive in auto mode. The MDS was designed to help the Challenger models get the mileage that the government set. By using MDS and the V6 it helped offset the mileage of the SRT. Turning off your MDS may cost you a mile or so on your MPG.

3. Model maker

how will it drive with MDS disabled ? will it help with that timing chain issue and what happens when you take it in for service at the dealer ? will they reactivate it somehow or say it voids the warranty ?

4. Lashlarue

Lashlarue Active Member

I hated Mds from the gitgo, turned it off with my Predator some time ago. City mileage is 15-16, haven't made any road trips.

5. Lashlarue

Lashlarue Active Member

Had to take mine in for the 1st time as both keyfobs went out at the same time. One I carried normally killed the battery. I mistakenly assumed the battery in the keyfob was bad, removed the emergency key to open my door and discovered if you insert the fob and battery is dead, you cannot remove the fob from the ignition, my house keys were attached and it was night time.Tried to release the emergency key and free my house keys, but my fat fingers couldn't move the slide release, took 15 minutes to finally separate my house keys from the fob. Charged the battery only too discover that my spare never used fob didn't work at all. and the other by just touching ran the trunk release solenoid continuously, sounded like a machine gun. Put my stock tune back in and headed to the dealer. Service manager set me an appointment for the following Monday. Got one brand new fob and had the other reprogrammed. no charge. And they do have to hook up the starscan to do this. Whether they updated my tune or not, I have no idea as I reinstalled my custom tune as soon as I got home.

6. Model maker

According to the information provided in the 200 tips & tricks post, it says When you battery goes dead,or you disconnect an " ABS" brake component, you have to recalibrate your steering sensors or something like that. It seems with all of the computer controlled systems in these new cars, anytime you do something, there is a need to correct another computer controlled component. I talked to a guy yesterday that has a 12 R/T 6 speed & he said he couldn't "power shift" or go into second gear from first gear if he wasn't at an exact speed, the computer was making him go into 4th gear from 1st gear, something about a skip shift issue ? why can't they just let us drive our cars the way we learned to in pre computer controlled cars ?

7. jonmandude

jonmandude Full Access Member

The "skip shift" is another fuel mileage thing to appease the government. It "locks out" 2nd and 3rd gears under certain RPM's. It does not effect "power shifting". The RPM range the "skip shift" functions is between 1900-2200 RPM, or gentle driving.

The MDS and "skip shift" are annoying, but you can't be mad at the manufacturer. Be mad at the government.

8. Model maker

So if you are driving through town you cannot get into second/third ? you have to go into fourth from first ? I would think it would lug the engine. Are there any problems with the 6 speed cars like we are having with the 5.7 mds auto trannys ? what about the srt 8 with autos & mds don't hear much about mds problems with those engines ?

9. Lashlarue

Lashlarue Active Member

The SRT* with auto and mds just started with the 2013 model year. Most of the failures were with 40k or more on the odometer..

10. Model maker

I wonder how the bigger engines will do with the MDS ? maybe they will have the updated parts. I wish I knew if my 13 had the updated parts. I am thinking about trading my 13 in on a new 2014 with 6 speed just to GET AWAY from the MDS.