Radio Screen Bubbles.........

Discussion in 'Challenger Mechanical Problems Forum | TSB's' started by William Thacher, Mar 16, 2020.

1. William Thacher

William Thacher Active Member

FYI: Just had my 2017 RT (5,000 org. miles) radio replaced due to "bubbles" in the screen face. Dodge Dealer Service Rep said it is fairly common in Challengers and Chargers. Fortunately it was replaced under warranty.

2. Redline Sam

Redline Sam Member

I had the same problem on my 2017 SXT. The only problem was that I had to get the radio replaced several times. Each replacement unit had a different problem. I asked why this was happening and the dealer rep said they use refurbished units as replacements. After three visits (replacements) I asked to install a NEW unit. The dealer got approval for a new unit but I have to wait until it arrives. It has been six weeks so far. Still waiting.

3. B5blueRT

B5blueRT Full Access Member

That's why I purchased the extended warranty / Protection Plan for my 2015. Already used it to get a radio/gps unit replaced on my daughter's Dart. I really like the Mopar products but their below average reliability made it an easy decision to go with the extended warranties - something i otherwise NEVER do.

4. IntimidatorRT

IntimidatorRT Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator

extended warranties are nice when you need them. i have a 2009 and was able to get an extended warranty right up till now. i guess trying to get another one on a 10 year old car with over 100k miles is the limit. but I did get some stuff done to it before it ran out one me. had to have the push button ignition module replaced as well as the throttle body , and my tech also threw in some mopar header gaskets in case I need them....lol

now i need to put some in savings a little bit at a time now for future repairs.

B5blueRT likes this.
  5. DodgeCares

DodgeCares Active Member

Hi Redline Sam, We'd be happy to help! Please follow up with me via DM at your earliest convenience so we can have this looked into further for you.
    Rob
    DodgeCares

6. IntimidatorRT

Fixing to get a second replacement on my 2017 Ram. I don’t know why they replace with a refurbished radio instead of a new radio when it is still under 36/36 bumper to bumper warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. William Thacher

William Thacher Active Member

Thanks to all. Did not know they use "refirbushed" units; disappointing.

8. FrankenMax

FrankenMax Full Access Member

Radios are only the tip of the iceberg. Transmission, motors, transfer cases, CV axles, brake calipers and a few more various critical components. All refurbished cores, unfortunately this is the norm among all auto manufacturers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. IntimidatorRT

[​IMG]
    Well, this is a new glitch with my new radio, this morning I drove to Wally World and everything was fine. Came back out after getting stuff and started up the truck and it stayed in backup camera mode all the way home. Even the X to cancel it didn’t work, radio was still playing but couldn’t get to the screen to change channels. Again this is the replacement radio they just put in last week, I have told the service dept about the other stuff it was doing so they got another radio ordered. I guess with another refurbished radio.

10. B5blueRT

B5blueRT Full Access Member

good luck... keep us updated.