Rare 1971 Challenger 340

Discussion in 'First Generation Challenger Forum' started by SRT-Tom, Feb 19, 2022.

1. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

A guy coming home from a vacation in Florida made a lucky find. Stopping at a roadside car show, in West Palm Beach, Florida, he discovered a rare 1971 340 Plum Crazy Challenger for sale. The Challenger had a shaker hood and longitudinal side stripes without "RT" callouts. Dodge built 1,226 non-R/T 340 Challenger coupes and convertibles in 1971. There were only 72 340 and 383 non-R/T cars with the shaker hood.

The original engine had been modified by the previous owner. It had a 1968 340 4-speed cam, a Demon carburetor, aluminum intake manifold, Edelbrock intake, aftermarket roller rocker arms, ACCEL electronic ignition, and Hooker Super Competition headers.

The original Slap-Stik shifted 727 TorqueFlite transmission remained, but the torque converter was replaced with a more streetable one. A 3.55:1-geared Sure Grip differential was swapped into the 8¾-inch rear end's housing to further enhance drivability.

upload_2022-2-19_7-8-26.png

This rare 1971 Challenger has a factory 340 shaker, but it's no R/T | Hemmings

BunnyMom and NC20RT like this.
  2. NC20RT

NC20RT Full Access Member

Very cool story and history but I wish they mentioned the price. That's their right not to disclose it but it sure helps others know the value besides seeing 'auction' car prices. Maybe I missed it as it was rather a long read.

BunnyMom likes this.
  3. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

They didn't state the sale price.

I was wondering why the original owner would opt for a 340 engine with a shaker hood and not get the R/T package? 1971 was the first year that you could order an R/T with a 340.

Probably it was cheaper to buy and also for insurance.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2022
    NC20RT likes this.
  4. Climber

Climber Full Access Member

I had a 70 Challenger 340 4 speed. As we all probably know there were no 70 340 R/T options. Instead Dodge offered the A66 option. The Challenger A66 was absent any R/T badging and it had the standard dashboard with no tachometer. It had other options installed I guess to make the car equal to the R/T without the badge. Someone on here will know. I have done a little research on the A66 option and I get some conflicting information. To say the least the car was fast and I did manage to stay of jail in my street racing days. It was Plum Crazy with a white vinyl top with white interior. The only striping on the car was the white strip on the rear of the car across the trunk and fenders.