Replace Rotors with New Brake Pads

Discussion in 'Challenger Wheels, Tires and Brakes Forum' started by SRT-Tom, Jan 1, 2021.

1. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

While it is possible to cut or machine a slotted rotor, if you set your brake lathe to its slowest setting to avoid any chatter, it is not advisable. There are four reasons why you should avoid machining existing rotors:

Reason 1: Quality

• Machining rotors make them thinner, susceptible to warping
    • Machining pushes the rotor thickness to the limit
    • Thin rotors lead to overheating, warping, vibrating, etc.
    • When the rotor thickness is different, it results in imbalance, weight shifting, shaking, and vibrating
    Reason 2: Cost and time

• The cost to machine rotors might be greater than just replacing new rotors
    • Need to machine both rotors (a full set) to avoid imbalance
    • Machining rotors might take a couple hours at the repair shop

Reason 3: Safety

• Rotor weight needs to be evenly distributed or else it leads to shaking and vibrating
    • It takes as little as .001 inches difference in thickness to notice when driving and braking
    • If rotors are machined too thin, they can warp and damage brake parts
    • By machining the rotors to the maximum level, rotors will overheat, fade, and lose stopping power
    Reason 4: Not Getting Rotors Resurfaced Properly

• Some repair shops may resurface rotors as fast as possible. This can lead to mistakes in the process or too much metal being shaved off.
    • Using worn bits to machine rotors may result in vibration
    • Rotor vibration due to trimming metal off rotors

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    Cloverdale and Hopslayer like this.
  2. Hopslayer

Hopslayer Full Access Member

I just replaced my stock pads and rotors with slotted and drilled Power Stop ones. They work great. Look cooler too.

3. TRCM

TRCM Full Access Member

On most cars, I'd agree, but on the Brembo rotors, the cost for new is way more than turning them...........

Hopslayer likes this.
  4. Katshot

Katshot Full Access Member

I know that Tom's post is completely taken from the PowerStop website but I still disagree with some of it. While true in theory, there's no way you need to take things to the extent they state.
    IMO, although the answer to the question "can I machine slotted and cross-drilled rotors?" is certainly yes, the question you SHOULD be asking is "should I machine them?"
    Personally, I never machine rotors. I replace them. My reasoning is that brake rotors rely heavily on their mass to do their job properly. So it follows that machining rotors (removing mass) only has a negative affect on their performance. On some vehicles this may not be a big deal but on performance cars and/or cars used in fleets or heavy-duty applications, it certainly does.
    Brake shops used to push machining because it made them more money but nowadays they've found that machining rotors tends to cost them more due to warranty claims. Matter of fact over the years, shops have moved more toward guarding against warranty claims by replacing rotors and all hardware as well as using less aggressive friction material.

70-426_10-SRT and Hopslayer like this.
  5. TRCM

TRCM Full Access Member

Plus replacing rotors makes them money not only on the labor, but on the selling the rotors themselves...............and it is faster than turning them as well.

6. 2017 Redline HC

2017 Redline HC 2021 Durango RT

I had the power stop rotors and pads on my 2010 RT, I now have the pads in my stock callipers and rotors. I highly recommend the pads to reduce brake dust issues. They have great stopping power as well. I didn't notice any difference from the Brembo pads.

7. TRCM

TRCM Full Access Member

I'm going to the powerstop rotors & pads real soon.....

Just waiting for the dealer, as they are replacing one of my front calipers due to the powdercoating coming off, and I am gonna have them use the new parts when they do.....

8. B5blueRT

B5blueRT Full Access Member

Which pads, the "clean ride"? I see they have Street Warrior, Evolution Sport and Evolution Clean Ride.
    I may swap mine out to eliminate the brake dust.

9. Hopslayer

Hopslayer Full Access Member

I bought the Evolution. I think I paid around $350.00. Seemed fair for all new pads and rotors all around.

10. 2017 Redline HC

2017 Redline HC 2021 Durango RT

I went with the street warrior pads.

469DB4B0-FB28-40AA-9E90-891E72A12E24.jpeg