Reset Oil Life Indicator

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Maintenance' started by SRT-Tom, Oct 20, 2021.

1. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

NC20RT likes this.
  2. Cloverdale

Cloverdale Full Access Member

Reset mine recently at oil change. At what point will it reappear?

3. SRT-Tom

The oil change indicator is based on a computer algorithm that takes into consideration the mileage (from last reset), temperature, and how the car is driven.

Read the following article. It explains how the indicator works and contains a table for oil change intervals for light, moderate and extreme driving.

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/understanding-dodge-service-indicator-lights-by-brent-minderler

Clazar likes this.
  4. Cloverdale

Cloverdale Full Access Member

Thanks for sharing Tom. Despite mine meeting the criteria for 'light conditions' (though it is supercharged) my warning activated at 5k km. Some articles indicate infrequent engine use also results in oil deterioration requiring earlier changes (I drive mine locally, mostly city once or twice a week). Glad there's just 4 bolts on the under cover, but the straight up and down (non angled) filter positioning isn't the easiest to get a wrench gripped onto!

5. SRT-Tom

Did you do your first oil change? It is brutal. I had to use maximum force with my oil filter socket wrench and the oil gasket actually separated from the canister. That's due to the 500 lb. gorilla that installs them at the factory. They keep him because he works cheap- only for a bunch of bananas.

upload_2021-10-21_11-49-37.png

Clazar, baccaruda and Cloverdale like this.
  6. IntimidatorRT

IntimidatorRT Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator

yep, had to re set mine that other day as I just had an oil change earlier in the year. lol

7. fritzthecat

fritzthecat Full Access Member

I reset my indicator last oil change, using the “depress-gas-pedal-method” and it came back on in less than 3000 miles. Don’t know what algorithm would have caused that, but there’s no way it needed to be done that soon. I don’t track the car and there were plenty of highway miles. So I just go with what the owners manual says and change it every 6000 miles.

Clazar likes this.