Rocker Panels

Discussion in 'Challenger Exterior Modifications Forum' started by SRT-Tom, Oct 24, 2011.

1. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

I finally brought my 2009 Challenger SRT into the dealer for the cracked rocker panels. The body shop manager ordered new ones under my warranty, with no questions asked, and they will be installed next week.

From looking at the rockers on the 2011 Challengers, Dodge seemed to have made an improvement. The new design appears to be slightly longer and has a bigger turning radius to allow for more room where it wraps into the wheel well. This should eliminate the stress point. Also, they are now using threaded bolts instead of plastic pop rivets.

To give myself additional peace of mind, I contacted Dodge Customer Service (1-800-423-6343) to complain about the rockers, since my warranty expires on 12/13/11. The rep gave me a reference number and stated that all Chrysler/Dodge replacement parts have a 12 month warranty.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Well-Known Member Staff Member Administrator

Nice. So are you getting the newer style rockers? I guess you would as the probably don't make the older styles anymore. :facepalm:

3. wesalbert

wesalbert Full Access Member

Good to know. Seen others with them cracked as well.
    Gonna be keeping an eye on mine (if I ever get to drive it)

4. Bullishman13

Bullishman13 Full Access Member

My driver's side is cracked. Ordered a new one with the rivets. Should be here on Monday.

Was driving back from Florida and the truck next to me hit a possum and shot him over at me. Mine cracked right at the jack relief. I thought for the longest time to fiberglass tape it and seal the seam with superglue. But might as well do it right.

Most don't notice it unless I point it out. But I notice it when I drive down the road and it rattles from the airflow under the car. The fun part comes when I get it in and place it on the car. Should be an easy swap.

My goal is to do a carbon fiber theme around the car on the front lip, side skirts and find a rear carbon fiber diffuser.

5. walnetto

walnetto Full Access Member

Knock on wood, but my 2010 is fine.

6. IDMTfirefighter

IDMTfirefighter Full Access Member

I have had both of mine replaced under warranty. driver side cracked up front, and passenger side cracked at the rear

7. SRT-Tom

I finally got the rocker panel claddings replaced. It took three trips to the dealer (once to verify that they were cracked, the second time to replace them, but the plastic rivets were wrong and had to be re-ordered, and finally today). As a MOPAR part, they are guaranteed for one year. They look like they are constructed better, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Just for the record, the claddings cost $60.80 each. Of course, add additional costs for the rivets and labor. You're looking at a $300 job. Anyone who still has the problem, get yourself to your dealer while you are still under warranty.

8. SRT-Tom

For those who are interested, I found a vendor, Seibon Carbon, who makes carbon fiber rocker panels for our cars. They are very pricey, at $820, but I am sure that they would never crack.

Search results for: 'challenger'

9. SRT-Tom

I know things are going up, but $230 for one piece of plastic rocker panel?

[​IMG]