Selling your car

Discussion in 'The Champagne Room' started by Katshot, May 22, 2020 at 9:12 AM.

1. Katshot

Katshot Full Access Member

Has anyone recently been through the process of selling their car? Personally, I haven't privately sold a car in a long time. Usually just trade my cars in at dealers. Currently, I'm trying to sell my 2003 SVT Cobra and it's proving to be a bit more daunting than I expected. I initially tried Craig's List but that was a joke. Nothing but scams. Now, I'm trying Auto Trader Classics, so we'll see how that goes.
    So my question is, what's the best way to sell your car?

2. TRCM

TRCM Full Access Member

Haven't sold one in a long long time...but I did buy my SRT thru a C/L ad I saw......

I know there are a ton of scams, but sometimes it works out.

3. IntimidatorRT

IntimidatorRT Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator

Try you local market places on Facebook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Katshot

I'm not on Facebook but my wife is. She tried putting the car on there but she said first of all, my selling price is above NADA value so they won't accept my price. Apparently, others have a work-around for it, just post 1234 for the price and then post the actual price in the body of the ad. Tried that and then she only got a couple Spanish replies and a couple guys posting stupid replies about the price.

5. TRCM

TRCM Full Access Member

That's really stupid...NADA is based on average use, maintenance, and driving.............so if you don't drive much, or really pamper your car, you get screwed trying to sell it there...........................

6. IntimidatorRT

Sold my 96 ranger a few years ago on Facebook way above what was NADA.

7. IntimidatorRT

Well it depends who sets up the market place. I know I have more than a dozen marketplaces just in the area where I live so I have no problem posting a price. Even on other stuff I have sold there.

8. Wizard of Iz

Wizard of Iz Full Access Member

I think your best bet is to post it on a site that caters to SVT Cobra owners. If the car is truly worth what you're asking, then you need to present the car to an audience that will appreciate the car.

Back in 2009 I sold a '99 Grand Prix GTP on Craigslist and everything went super smooth. The key there was that I wasn't asking a whole lot for the car. A friend of mine said that Craigslist has become the land of the bargain hunters so it's tough to sell anything at a premium.

Then in 2013, I sold a '05 GTO on eBay Motors. It sold fairly quickly and at a fair price .... and then the buyer turned out to be a nut job. That experience might have convinced me to not bother going the FSBO route again.

Having said that .... Back in 2013, I bought my 2011 Challenger R/T Classic from a private individual through his ad on AutoTrader.com. And, in 2017, I bought my 2015 Challenger SRT from a dealer through an ad on CarGurus.com.

Good Luck

9. B5blueRT

B5blueRT Full Access Member

I agree. You can't use NADA pricing for specialty/classic vehicles. I've done a couple things when selling a classic.
    1. eBay Motors: if nothing else, set your price with a reserve and see if there is any interest. It'll tell you if your price is too high. The better the description and at least 20 photos help. Auto Trader Classics is another good one.
    2. This may be hard during our Covid-19 summer, but if there are any cruise-ins or car shows in your area, show up with a For Sale sign on the car. Give a description and stay by the car to see if there's interest and answer questions. I always put the price I'd accept for it and hold firm on the price ready to explain how I came up with it. (I use the old "what would I buy the car for?")
    3. Use HAGGERY VALUATION tool as a reference. I ran a 93 Cobra SVT and it showed an average of $23,000, not sure what price you want. You'll have to review the entire valuation to get a better idea on prices for numbers matching orgiginal vs. modified. Haggerty is a cool site and you can join for free. Here's the link: https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuationtools/1993-Ford-Mustang-5.0_SVT_Cobra

I attached the pdf of it - nice to have a print out. I have one for my 69 Camaro that I keep in its glove box and pull out at shows and cruise-ins.
    Hope this helps....

Attached Files:

10. Katshot

The car is a 2003 SVT Cobra convertible. I currently have it on Autotrader Classics. I'll have to check out Hagerty.