Shifter mod

Discussion in 'Challenger Interior Modifications' started by vferrizz, Jun 25, 2013.

1. vferrizz

vferrizz Member

I was eyeballing the Hurst shifter upgrade until I found that it would invalidate the factory warranty on the car. I want a simple, old school, ball shift knob. Is it safe to assume I can unscrew the factory pistol grip type shift handle on my 6 speed, determine the size and pitch and find a ball shift knob?

2. jonmandude

jonmandude Full Access Member

Why would a shifter void your warranty? There is no way something as simple as a Hurst shifter could effect any mechanical part of the car, and for a part to void your warranty they must be able to prove that the non-factory part caused any warranty issue.

Buy the shifter

3. RT_6Speed

RT_6Speed Full Access Member

The factory shift knob doesn't unscrew. Cheapest option is the Mopar ball shifter that bolts in place of the pistol grip. Not sure how/why the Hurst shifter would void the warranty, its not like you have to go into the trans to install it. Pull the console, remove some pins, takes about an hour and can be done from inside the car.

4. vferrizz

vferrizz Member

Not sure why either but that is what the folks at the local Dodge dealer told me. Based on the input from you guys maybe I need to check with the warranty folds directly.

5. RT_6Speed

Here's an option, shifter handle and silver ball. Not quite the classic Hurst white ball from back in the day but might suit your needs.

Mopar Shifter handle

6. vferrizz

vferrizz Member

Thanks for the option. I checked that out but I really think the simple white or black ball will do the car justice and give it the look I am after.

I want to keep the mods simple until I own the car...after that its supercharger time!

7. RT_6Speed

I understand that, I wanted the old school white ball as well so I put the Hurst shifter in. Of course I already had issues with my warranty :)

8. pfenstermaker

pfenstermaker New Member

Hey guys,
    Just picked up a 2011 R/T 6 speed, and not super impressed with the feel of the stock shifter - a little sloppy to me.
    The Hurst replacement is mentioned often, is it worth the price? Or any others to look at?

9. chithead

chithead Full Access Member

10. ScatPack392

ScatPack392 Member

Installed the Hurst shifter yesterday. YouTube videos are garbage. No need to remove any interior trim. Before starting tighten the included shaft to the pistol grip shifter. Push down the boot. Unlock the jam nut. Remove factory shifter. Put the pistol grip shifter on and adjust the height and angle to your liking. Tighten jam nut. Pull up the shifter boot. Done.