SO 2023 IS THE LAST YEAR OF THE CURRENT CHALLENGER EXTERIOR/INTERIOR ENGINE AND CHASSIS?

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Discussions' started by stingray, Jul 13, 2021.

1. stingray

stingray Full Access Member

If you want to put in a factory order we have less than two more years (2022 and 2023) before the current Challenger turns into a different car in 2024?

2. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

Yes, it looks like 2023 will be the last year for the Hemis.

stingray likes this.
  3. stingray

So it's the last chance car to get petrol powered at the top of its game. The EV's are just starting up. Don't want to be the guinea pig on EV technology.:eek:

Bobcat and NC20RT like this.
  4. tjfrombama

tjfrombama Full Access Member

The new inline 6 with twin turbos will most likely take away the 5.7L Hemi. Add a supplemental electric motor for "boost" and you will have Hellcat power. I'm waiting for that drivetrain to roll out before I do any upgrades. I like Hemis, but eventually, they will become more and more expensive to maintain and operate. We will eventually get forced into EVs in our lifetime if we like it or not. Once they are a little more affordable, look for gas prices to go high enough to deter ICE powered vehicles.

5. HellKitten

HellKitten Full Access Member

Once gas prices go up, so will everything else. The EV are here, so will the autonomous, with all the traffic it's really becoming a PIA to drive. Too many people.

stingray likes this.
  6. mikeT

mikeT Full Access Member

Bunch of doom and gloom here, You talk like the internal combustion engine will be gone in a couple of years, Wake the &%)& up these bad boys will be around for quite some time. Folks still making any kind of aftermarket part you want, lot's of mechanics are still out there to work on them. Damn guys, they still sell carburetor kits. If you don't know what that is you deserve an EV.
    Side note, there are planes out there that still have propellers.

stingray, 70-426_10-SRT and NC20RT like this.
  7. Bobcat

Bobcat Active Member

That's the path I thought they were going to take too. But didn't you hear the announcement that Dodge is going to full electric muscle "e" cars in 2024? I don't really like the news either and it kind of makes me wonder if its a good idea to go ahead and order the Scat Pack or not. Maybe I should go with the twin turbo six of the new Z instead as it will be easier and cheaper to add power than the V8 and gets better gas mileage? Of course its not as American as Dodge and will never sound as good.

8. Wizard of Iz

Wizard of Iz Full Access Member

I only heard Dodge say that they were bringing an Electric Muscle Car to market. I did not hear them say that they were immediately stopping production of all Internal Combustion Engines. There's nothing stopping Dodge from selling EVs and ICE cars side-by-side for a period of time.

The day is most likely (definitely?) coming for all auto manufacturers to go all electric. And probably even in my lifetime (I'm 62) though maybe not in my "driving years." But that day is not here ... yet.

IF ... 2023 IS the final year of the current Dodge Challenger, it will cap off an amazing 16 year run.

Who knows ... there could be a trimmed down, battery-powered, high-performance, retro-styled 'Cuda in our future.

Bobcat likes this.
  9. 68MOPAR

68MOPAR Full Access Member

We plan on moving into a retirement community, eventually. At that point we will rarely need to drive an automobile. A mini EV (golf cart) will be fine for local commuting. As for groceries, we can have those delivered. Storing a full-sized golf cart (EV) in a home garage is not something I'm comfortable with. If you haven't seen what happens when an automotive sized lithium battery pack shorts-out, you should look into it. A hydrogen burning ICE is our first best destiny to addressing environmental issues. That's not going to happen, as there's too much $$$ to be made on lithium mining. The damage to the environment as a result of lithium disposal is going to dwarf that of burning fossil fuels. Again... Hydrogen.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  10. stingray

We will be dead by that time. Enjoy life and have fun now.

tjfrombama likes this.