So how crazy is crazy?

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger Cleaning and Detailing Forum' started by MoparMadness, Jul 6, 2021.

1. MoparMadness

MoparMadness Active Member

So I have had many Vipers and Shelby's over the years and they were not daily drivers. Always dry and clean and polished. I just purchased a fully optioned 64k Scat Pack in Pitch Black (I know crazy right) which will be my daily driver. Being as anal as I am, I am having difficulty with it getting caught in the South Florida rainy season showers. I wipe it down daily, but can't possibly do the wheels or wash it every day. If it doesn't rain, I get hit with cheap shots from the sprinkler systems that are everywhere. My question to you nit picky guys with daily drivers is this- How do you deal with the reality that your baby is going to get wet and dirty and what do you do about it and how often? Also, I have Black carbon wheels that make it fairly easy to get inside and scrub the entire 11 inch wheel, but on some cars you can just get away with washing the outermost portion of the wheels since the inside usually gets black quickly. Do you guys fully scrub the inside of the wheels at each wash? Also, I had a soft squeegee tool that helps sheet off the water, but on the black paint, it seems to skip along and make marks which I stopped immediately. I also use a swimmers type rubber towel that really sucks out the water well and does not seem to scratch. Bottom line- I have to come to grips with having a very nice car as my primary ride and am not finding it easy since I am a clean freak. It rains daily in South Florida this time of year and it is making me crazy. Some say don't let what you own, own you- and I get that. After all it is just a car and it can clean up. I hate what happens to the underside of daily drivers though, but need to get over it. Please share with me your philosophy and approach to cleaning the car and wheels. It would be most helpful. Thanks!

Also- The dealer used an awesome tire shine. What do you guys recommend. Armor All doesn't cut it!

Scat Pack.jpg Scat Shaker.jpg Scat Rear.jpg 2021 Challenger Scat Pack Window Sticker.jpg

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
  2. SRT8BLN

SRT8BLN Member

1st Congratulations on your new ride! I for one had my entire car wrapped with PPF, it is way easier to maintain, and you wouldn't have to worry as much about getting spots or even scratches for that matter. I think that's your best bet as far as the car is concerned, and for your wheels you can get them ceramic coated, and it'll make the maintenance much easier.

MoparMadness likes this.
  3. MoparMadness

What I don't like about the wrap is that it can involve taking off door handles, taillights etc. I know it's not a real big deal but mistakes happen. I like the 3M wrap, because I probabl trust that it wont trap moisture or bubble the paint etc. What type did you get and what did full body run you?

4. NC20RT

NC20RT Full Access Member

Sometimes we can worry too much about DD use or taking cars on long trips. Rock chips are the main culprit and it isn't always possible to avoid being behind semis or dump trucks with uncovered loads. It's just life. Clear 3M type bras applied professionally work BUT it always looks like you have scratches where the seal begins/ends. I got real tired of it on my old C6 Corvette plus others thought I had scratches as well at the car shows I attended. Alcohol along the edges to remove wax, etc.. worked well but you could still see it. Never again plus it's quite expensive.
    I have 77k miles on my 2001 Trans Am which I bought new off a Charlotte showroom floor. If it rains it gets wiped down EVERY TIME with warm water and micro fiber cloths, then a detailer (Mother's or Meguiars) is used to enhance the waxed appearance. I hand wax the car with the above two mentioned or Griot's (pricey) every 3 - 4 months. My wife thinks I'm nuts, and I am, about having clean cars. I do NOT always do the inside of the rims but definitely DO for car events like cruise-ins or shows.
    After 20 years I think my Trans Am looks really good but certainly not pristine due to those rock trips accumulated over the two decades. I hope my R/T will look like my Trans Am 20 years from now if I'm still around and have the car.
    By the way, my Trans Am just completed a 5,600 miles trip along RTE 66 a few months back. Still looking the same. Not bad IMO. The effort of cleaning and upkeep are worth it.

Kingman; AZ May 2002 (6) small.jpg Oatman, AZ May 2021 (3).JPG Oatman, AZ May 2021 (8).JPG Tucumcari, NM May 2021 (1).JPG

MoparMadness likes this.
  5. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

My 2009 SRT is not a daily driver, so it is kept under a Covercraft Noah car cover on most weekdays. After 12 years, it still looks like new. I am a big believer in Meguiars Ultimate products. They are readily accessible, are not pricey and produce great results. Here is what I do:

1. Wash my car with Meguiars Gold Class Wash, when needed, using the two-bucket, show car method (see link).

2. Use Meguiars Ultimate Polish and Ultimate Liquid Wax once a year on the exterior and forged aluminum wheels.

3. Use Meguiars Ultimate Quik Detail Spray after each waxing and then, 2 times a month (exterior and wheels).

4. Use Meguiars Ultimate Interior Detail Spray on the interior twice a year.

5. Use Meguiars Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer once a year on the black plastic trim.

6. Use Meguiars Ultimate Leather Balm once a year.

7. Use Meguiars Hot Shine Foam every 2-3 weeks (it cleans & shines in one easy step).

8. Wipe off the interior wheel Brembo brake dust, with paper towels, after each ride with a spray bottle containing plain water.

https://www.meguiars.com/sites/default/files/pdf/automotive-catalog.pdf

How To: 2 Bucket Car Wash Method - Chemical Guys Detailing Car Care - YouTube

AerialView (3).jpg

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
    Clazar, MoparMadness and NC20RT like this.
  6. MoparMadness

Yeah- Meguiar's is good stuff. Do you guys all clean deep inside the wheels when washing? Also I wipe the car down after a rain but if I drive in the rain, I worry that wiping it down will spread some dirt and cause scratching on the black paint, especially on the lower side of the vehicle. It's fine for the roof and upper body panels but gets a little dicey down low. I use a swimmers rubber type towel that is highly absorbent and does not seem prone to scratching. Any thoughts?

Clazar likes this.
  7. NC20RT

NC20RT Full Access Member

^^^ Yes, for cruise-ins and any events or special occasions, I wash deep inside the rims. Once per year I take off the wheels to detail the hidden side. Why?? Just to protect the finish. I use Eagle One Nanowax spray on my rims which repels everything and makes it easy to clean. I will be doing the same for my R/T and especially for the red Brembos.
    ** Just an added note: I am retired and have plenty of time. I realize and appreciate that most folks have kids or limited time. This is just me. I was also compulsive about my rides during my working career in FL too but time was definitely harder to find. I also have the mindset that cars are my hobby and are actually therapeutic. I don't consider this detailing as work. I put on my favorite tunes and I'm very happy with the situation. Rewarding and satisfying.
    As far as spreading dirt I am not sure what you mean but you must use lots of water. That will negate any dirt spread. If you are referring to just wiping down the car after a rain using that same rain water, not a good idea unless it was just a sprinkle with dry roads. Water on the road kicking up filthy water and all kinds of chemical crap must be washed or rinsed thoroughly. FL sprinkler water, at least the type we had in the Tampa Bay area, was full of sulfur and very damaging if left unattended. Almost as bad as the love bug season. I imagine that's still an issue in FL too. Man those squashed love bugs stunk to high heaven in the sun.:disgust:

Clazar likes this.
  8. MoparMadness

NC20RT-Great to hear you are so passionate. I always was but time is more limited now. I only wipe down after a shower and no road time. I do notice with the wide body that less road debris and water kicks up on the car. A nice surprise. Thanks for the tip on the Nanowax....PS- Your TransAm looks great too!

Clazar and NC20RT like this.
  9. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

Sounds like a good idea. Just a word of caution to other members. Don't use any spray wax on your wheels while they are on your car. The wax will coat your rotors and you will have stopping issues until it wears off.

Clazar likes this.
  10. MoparMadness

How fussy are you other guys about the inside portion of your wheels. Hard to get in there without ripping my knuckles apart all the time.

Clazar likes this.