Some quart cans from the past (mostly racing oil)

Discussion in 'Hobby Forum' started by NC20RT, Nov 21, 2021.

1. NC20RT

NC20RT Full Access Member

Sharing more photos from my petroliana collection for those interested. Thanks for all the comments and 'likes' in the past. Most folks don't really care about this stuff so it's nice to hear. A :waytogo: to the Challenger forum for having this hobby section.

Here are some of my oil quart cans, with racing oil the most prevalent. They tend to have the best graphics, especially checkered flags or designs. The Skelly cans are a favorite because of the oil derricks featured on the cans. Most of my quarts are full NOS (new old stock). Many are common still while a few are on the rare side.

P1020457 (2).JPG P1020456 (2).JPG P1020454 (2).JPG

baccaruda and 70-426_10-SRT like this.
  2. 70-426_10-SRT

70-426_10-SRT B&E body lover

Always GREAT to preserve the past.
    A Simpler time:cheers:

NC20RT likes this.
  3. Wizard of Iz

Wizard of Iz Full Access Member

That's an impressive collection.

NC20RT likes this.
  4. B5blueRT

B5blueRT Full Access Member

Impressive, especially since they hold oil. Start checking the Black Friday ads for Home Depot and Lowes for sales on 12" x 1" shelving so you can keep adding more stuff. :)

NC20RT likes this.
  5. NC20RT

^^ Some do seep very slowly. if you look close I put lids (from Planters peanuts cans) on the bottoms to catch the drips. It is easy to wipe out once a year or so.

Here are more cans I have displayed:

P1020446 (2).JPG P1020170 (3).JPG P1020185 (2).JPG

6. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

You have some nice oil cans. I like the Sinclair dino can, the Mobil Jet oil and the Archer Lubricants.

Did you buy them at auto swap meets?

NC20RT likes this.
  7. NC20RT

Thanks!
    Over the past 20 or so years I have picked up most from the swap meets (Charlotte Auto Fair each Spring and Fall) and specific 'petroliana' shows, usually the large Dixie shows held each Spring and Fall in Sevierville TN (outside Pigeon Forge). They have a new Christmas show now too which I might attend on Dec 3 if the weather cooperates. I always wanted to venture to Hershey but the lodging gets crazy high. Every event I attend is a day trip, from the 3 hour drive to Charlotte to the 2 hour drive to TN.

I also have won some cans on ebay but that was mostly in the past as shipping, and now taxes, became too high. I've bought cans in person that would be less then just the shipping/tax if bought on-line. You can find or win a nice can for $20 - $40 sometimes but $15 shipping and a few more dollars for tax can spoil the deal.

8. B5blueRT

You should have some fun with your favorite Dodge dealer. Go to the service desk and say you just changed the oil in your Challenger and its just not running right. Then show 'em one of those real old Sinclair oil cans and ask "this is the oil I put in, it's okay to use, isn't it?" :D

NC20RT likes this.
  9. NC20RT

^^ If everyone had a sense of humor, like us, then I would actually think about it. Unfortunately I'd run into an idiot that would actually note this in my vehicle history and void the warranty. :disgust:

10. B5blueRT

Ha, you're right! Lay low and keep 'em clean!