Spare Tire Information

Discussion in 'Challenger Wheels, Tires and Brakes Forum' started by SRT-Tom, Nov 9, 2017.

1. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

AWD vehicles, like the Challenger GT, should come equipped with a full sized spare or a spare that matches the tire diameter. If it does not, then it is an oversight by the vehicle manufacturer. Having the incorrect tire size on one axle of an AWD car produces unnecessary loading wear on the transfer case and differential.

Also, for non-AWD cars, compact spares (rated for 50 mph) should only be put on the non-driving axle (i.e., on the rear axle for front wheel drive cars and on the front for rear wheel drive cars).

An 18" spare tire kit, for non-Brembo equipped models, can be purchased at:

https://performancespare.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=87&search=Challenger

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  2. chithead

chithead Full Access Member

Great information! Can't tell you how many times I've seen a Subaru destroyed because of replacing only two tires instead of all four, or if needing towed, they didn't put it on a rollback.

3. galoosh

galoosh New Member

Having the dilemma myself my 2017 GT did not come with a spare and I can't order one and was told I should not use one - but why could you order one when ordering the car new if you shouldn't use it?
    I am going to try chatting with Dodge on Monday maybe someone there knows the correct answer.