Speaker upgrade

Discussion in 'New Member Check-In' started by KLY2112, Mar 1, 2019.

1. KLY2112

KLY2112 New Member

Has anyone found good 3.5 dash speakers for a 2018 SXT Plus with the 6 speaker Alpine set up. Tried the Infinity 3032 in the dash but they were way too bright - Hurt your ears bright. Thinking about maybe trying the Infinity Kappa 300m midrange in the dash. They cut off around 10Hz. I Dont want to rip and replace 8.4 radio and 276 factory amp and door speakers are fine for now. Put 6.5 Infinitys in the rear deck and they sound great. Any recommendations for a nice blended 3.5 speaker. I'm Classic Rock listener.

2. synoptic12

synoptic12 Full Access Member

To begin, I have the same system with B.A. speakers. You must be aware that it is a 2 ohm speaker system. There are not any 3.5 speakers worth anything, other than the JBL GTO which supposedly has better base than the Infinity's that you've tried. The point is both have 85 Hz to 21 kHz which does nothing for base, let alone mid range. This has been a dilemma for some time among many. Even my Oldsmobile C.S. is fitted with Sony's (3.5) excellent. Do not know if they (Sony) manufacture them any longer. There are Focals which are the supposed cream of the crop (About $345.00). Look into MB Quart, an excellent 3.5 if they fit. There is nothing else. Most, if not all the 3.5.'s have base blockers whereas not to pop the speaker, as to filter out the lows. The problem: There are not any 2 ohm speakers available anywhere. The 2 ohm must be proprietary from B.A.

The Challenger is a fairly good system B.A. 6 speaker set-up. Again, the two ohm speakers are the problem. Running 4 ohm speakers can possibly cause the 276 watt amp to draw extra heat. This is why I have not changed to better speakers. You will not get more power when you connect 4 ohm speakers in a system designed for 2 ohm. The four ohm speakers may sound more ambient but power is reduced. This is a difficult system to work with, as all controls are designed into the steering wheel. It is not like years ago where basically many could install a good sound system, not so today. Every action has an opposite reaction in the new cars, mainly for the worse. Things have changed significantly in the electronics arena as many good manufactures have been knocked out of the box or have outsourced their products to China, Korea and others.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  3. 70-426_10-SRT

70-426_10-SRT B&E body lover

So add another speaker in Parallel :)
    https://www.eminence.com/support/wiring-diagrams/

or if you can ONLY find the speakers you want in the wrong impedance, maybe a resistor in Parallel?
    Measure what you have, or might be printed on the Speaker.

I was thinking about loosing the Sub in the trunk
    and throwing a pair of 6x9's in the rear window deck for nostalgia.
    I am SURE someone on YouTube has done it. . . . .

BTW: I didn't know there WAS anything but Classic Rock :happy107:
    Have been listening to Channel 30 on Sirius
    https://www.siriusxm.com/siriusxm30 Some great interviews
    but then switch back to 25-26

4. synoptic12

synoptic12 Full Access Member

* Really. Is this for the OP-ED or me?

5. 70-426_10-SRT

70-426_10-SRT B&E body lover

Was just throwing out options,
    and stating what I am considering.