"Stability control system" error when going over bumps due to wheel sensor

Discussion in 'Challenger Mechanical Problems Forum | TSB's' started by Civitas7377, Feb 8, 2022.

1. Civitas7377

Civitas7377 Full Access Member

"Stability control system" error when going over bumps due to wheel sensor.

Anyone had issues where a "Stability control system" error pops up, the power steering gives out and the dashboard lights drop when going over a medium size bump? Lasts 2-3 seconds only but consistent. Research blames faulty wheel\ABS sensors.

Or is a loose Battery connection a more likely culprit?

Suggestions?

2. stingray

stingray Full Access Member

Some of that could be the conditions of the road you are driving on. Is this at all different locations? Are these bumps very jarring when driven over them. I have another car that will do that at a certain spot in the road where I know of that I have to turn off the traction control so the car won't go limp on me endangering me from getting rear ended from other traffic behind me on a downgrade with these cars picking up speed behind me.:snoopfacepalm:

Craig likes this.
  3. Civitas7377

Talked to my mechanic. Sounds like only Dodge Wheel sensors will work in a Challenger. Aftermarket Wheel Sensors will not work\allow the car to start. (Even if the parts fit.) The issue for the thrown error may be the ABS Module. Will update this thread when final solution is found.

stingray likes this.
  4. Civitas7377

Got Mable back today. So there is an ABS Module that sits infront of the fuse box. This ABS Module controls your brake line pressure, amongst other things, and has pins in it for the connections. These pins can get dirty, corroded over time or loose and potentially cause the car not to start when it can't find the wheel sensors, throw errors...etc. May be there is a better technical lesson to learn here from an expert. But just be aware the ABS Module is fickle. Toggling the ABS Module off\on seems to have addressed the "Stability control system" error for now. But subject to change. Plan B is to ask the Dealership if a new ABS Module is needed. And if so, does it need to be reprogramed. If not, it could be just a plug and play solution.

5. Civitas7377

Solution was to tighten the power cable under the hood that ran from the back battery. No issues now going over bumps. Not sure how it got loose.

70-426_10-SRT likes this.
  6. stingray

Bingo! That's great you found it. What year is your Challenger? Do you drive on bumpy roads alot?

7. Civitas7377

2016 Scat Pack w/ Shaker. But think the solution is universal for all Challenger\Chargers. Just regular MN roads.

stingray likes this.
  8. stingray

Can't be worse than California roads.:facepalm::snoopfacepalm:

9. Moparisto

Moparisto Full Access Member

California, where the herds of feral pigs hunt YOU.

10. stingray

The feral pigs tear up lawns.