3.6L Stretched Timing Chain

Discussion in 'Challenger SE Engine and Performance Modifications' started by Hopslayer, Jul 27, 2022.

1. Hopslayer

Hopslayer Full Access Member

I had to take my car to the shop. Apparently the oil level got low causing the timing chain to get hot and stretch, giving me a code. My tuner and mechanic said it’s a common issue on the V6 Pentastar and my mechanic said the Chevy V6 engines have the same problem. Anyway, I had my mechanic upgrade every part he could, even the new belt I figured I would put on since the engine was all apart. Hopefully picking it up today, but here’s a picture of it all taken apart. Pretty clean I thought.

4CD16ECB-EE8E-410E-A7AE-EA1E5B854856.jpeg

Cloverdale likes this.
  2. Cloverdale

Cloverdale Full Access Member

Did you confirm the oil level and how low did it get?
    I read there are 4 chains in your drive system (I believe 2 are much smaller in length than the 2 visible in your pic). Many of us hemi owner's had the chain guide recall (or much worse for those whose guides disintegrated). Wonder if your issue is warranted if it's truly a result of a low oil level condition.

Hopslayer likes this.
  3. Moparisto

Moparisto Full Access Member

I am curious how one would allay that potential problem for regular use, not the obvious "don't let the oil get low," but more of an "overfill the sump" angle with a very very good windage tray to keep that extra oil away from the crank etc.

On another note, I marvel that there is plastic that can guide those chains so well for so many thousand miles.

Maybe an oil line, as used with turbos, to just squirt oil on the chain/sprocket interfaces up top?

Hopslayer likes this.
  4. Hopslayer

I do run a supercharger and catch can. I don't know a lot about these engines, so I just have to go by what the mechanic and my tuner say.

5. Moparisto

You know, with a pair of cute little turbos bolted right to the exhaust mono-ports, that both spooled up right around 7000 RPM, you could have a load of more power without a great deal more torque.

Just a thought...

Not exactly like this guy, who goes for around 400 foot-pounds.

They evidently accomplished this at 12 PSI. You could continue going up in boost from 4500 RPM so your torque curve would just PARK at 400 foot-pounds.

You would want stiffer valve springs so you could safely spend more time in the upper RPM ranges, such as 7-9000 RPM, but with electronically-controlled boost, you could flatten that torque curve out at around 350 foot-pounds, then just run it all the way out to 9500 RPM, which would give you a resoundingly driveable 620hp.

The beauty of a properly-designed turbo system is that you can dial the boost to where you are staying well within a torque spec that your driveline can handle.

IF your rig could handle 400 foot-pounds, then, hey, you can have from 335hp at 4500 RPM up to 700hp at 9500.

Those RPM-dependent boost controller maps can hammer your torque curve until it is table-flat, staying well clear of "driveline threatened" zone of torque production.

All the fun of the V8 minus the driveline-breaking torque peaks.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
  6. Cloverdale

Cloverdale Full Access Member

The hemi recall replaces the plastic guide parts with metal.

7. Hopslayer

Last time I checked there was just 1 company that was making a twin turbo for the SXT Plus Challenger, and they had it on a total of just 1 car. No thanks. I'll wait until it's a more proven platform. I guess I'm stuck with my 438.9whp for now. :)

8. Moparisto

I understand.

It is not common any more for men to actually find things out for themselves. But, I have done the research for myself, bucking the trend of the entire Western world.

Hopslayer likes this.
  9. Hopslayer

Got my car back yesterday. They replaced 4 chains and the 3 tensioners that keep the chains tight, along with some sprockets. Runs like new. The way the engine is designed, I would not be surprised to have the same issue a few years from now. $1670.00 bill, but what can you do.

Chuckv likes this.
  10. B5blueRT

B5blueRT Full Access Member

Thanks for the update. I wish more members would do it after posting an issue or a question.
    Behave yourself out there on those open country roads! :)

Chuckv and Hopslayer like this.