The Hits Keep Coming!

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Discussions' started by Curt 60, Jan 19, 2022.

1. Curt 60

Curt 60 Member

It seems that the beginning of this week Dodge decided to raise the MSRP by as much as 4,000.00 on the Challenger scat pack and a lot of other models as well though not as much. I only found out this today while receiving a phone call from my local dealership, I was told that because of the extremely high prices of the used car market dodge says, No need for me to go into the few details that I'm aware of except his explanation was that buyers are buying brand new cars from the dealer lots and then Re-Selling them and making a profit !There is probably more to it than that ,I don't know any more than what the dealer told me this afternoon

2. DADSDREEM

DADSDREEM Member

I ordered a 21 R/T Challenger Thanksgiving week. A few days later, dealer calls me and says it’s going to be a 22, as the order books for a 21 were closed. Price jumped almost 5k on the base R/T. Options were priced almost the same as the 21’s. I wanted a 21 with the performance handling and a stick and couldn’t find anything like it new. We’ll see when the factory reopens if it’s being built.

3. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

I wouldn't pay $5,000 more for the same car that you ordered.

Why not search for a low mileage Scat Pack or SRT?

4. NC20RT

NC20RT Full Access Member

Sorry to hear about the price increases guys. I'm sure it's not just Dodge doing this. The increases sure seem steep though. Why not $1,000 or $1,500?? I guess because they know they can do it if you want 'new'. The end is near for the hemi Challenger and they know it. :shakehead:

5. B5blueRT

B5blueRT Full Access Member

Ford came up with a way to stop the reselling issue. Should Dodge follow???
    Here's the first part of the online article from CNET:
    Ford dealers can ban F-150 Lightning customers from reselling trucks to discourage scalpers
    Buyers must keep their electric trucks for one full year before trying to resell them, according to a new "No-Sale" provision, if dealers opt in.
    Ford is cracking down on anyone with mercenary intentions when it comes to buying an F-150 Lightning next year. In an effort to stop customers from quickly flipping their electric pickup truck for a hefty profit, Ford delivered a notice to dealerships issuing a new clause for soon-to-be owners. The note was posted on the F-150 Gen 14 forum on Friday. Should a dealer opt in, customers will be required to sign a "No-Sale" provision, banning them from reselling the truck within one year of ownership. The key here is, it's not required, Ford told Roadshow.

Full article: https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/ford-f-150-lightning-customers-reselling-trucks-scalpers/

6. Wizard of Iz

Wizard of Iz Full Access Member

The increase doesn't surprise me. I think the increase is, in part, because dealers overpaid for so many used cars to stock their lots when new cars weren't available and that's forcing the price of new cars up as well.

My '15 SRT 392 is worth almost exactly what I paid for it in December 2017. That doesn't happen in normal market conditions.

So if my trade-in has gone up in value about the same as the new cars have gone up in MSRP, then it's all even.

7. Farmer Fran

Farmer Fran Full Access Member

You can go to dodge.com right now and build a 2021 and 2022 and compare the end price

My SCAT would be $2375 more right now, same options. Sheesh

Wizard of Iz likes this.
  8. DADSDREEM

DADSDREEM Member

To SRT-Tom

What you say is a very valid response. I currently have a 21 Scat Pack 8 spd auto. Prior to that I had a 16 Hellcat Challenger with 8 spd auto. I love the instantaneous torque of the Scat Pack auto. So quick for what it is. I happen to be looking for less horsepower and the ability to row the gears once again. Having a 3.91 rear with a six speed on 275 summer tires is great for me as I pass into my 70’s. First car was a 69 Plymouth Roadrunner with 3.91’s and a 4 speed and I loved that car. Test drove a 20 used R/T with Performance Handling package which includes the 3.91’s and loved it. I’ve found perspectives change as we journey through our lives and years ago I would have agreed with you 100%. Now, I’m looking for 1 more fun car to enjoy. I’ve enjoyed all of my Mopar’s in my driving life and I’ll love this one also! There’s nothing like cold starting a Hemi and I truly cherish that feeling. All the best friends.

9. Curt 60

Curt 60 Member

Well what happened in my situation is that I had ordered the car with the 6 speed manual gearbox at the end of last week but I contacted the dealership the following Monday to see if I still had time to change one of the options, and decided to go with automatic instead so it took a couple of days for the dealership to get back with me and tell me that they had tried to change the order but the factory declined so at that point I had 3 options, I could stay with the first order which was placed right before dodge notified the dealership of the price hike or they could order another car with the auto transmission but I would have to pay the new price hike so it was a No-brainer to stick w/the manual. I feel very fortunate and just by sheer luck that I placed the order when I did!

10. mikeT

mikeT Full Access Member

Sorry, Ford or anyone else can't tell me what I can and cannot do with the vehicle I own, give it to me for free, and then you might be able to. We still live in a free country.