3.5L Theres GOT to be a way

Discussion in 'Challenger SE Engine and Performance Modifications' started by Philscuda, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Philscuda

Philscuda New Member

Is anyone aware of any attempt by anyone to make a timing CHAIN replacement for the f-ing belt Dodge so unwisely used? ...I hate timing belts!:shooter:

2. Wizard of Iz

Wizard of Iz Full Access Member

Not that I've ever heard of

3. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

Sorry, you're stuck with the timing belt.

That is what I like about my 6.1- it has a timing chain (and no MDS).

4. ZEN357

ZEN357 Full Access Member

I believe there is no aftermarket solution yet for this.

5. Moparisto

Moparisto Full Access Member

I think Dodge wholesale abandoned the 3.5L, so no one is making much of anything for it.

6. SRT-Tom

You're right. Dodge went all in with the vastly superior 3.6 engine.

7. Hopslayer

Hopslayer Full Access Member

I had to replace the timing chains on my 3.6 as they stretched. There were 4 different chains. Cost me about $1700.00. Had to replace an 02 sensor last week that got clogged. I'm tuned a little rich right now, which would explain it. That was only $144.00 to fix. :)

8. B5blueRT

B5blueRT Full Access Member

That's the price we pay to have fun. To say it another way, "the cost to get that shitty smile on your face as you fly down the quarter mile beating the guy in the other lane = PRICELESS" ;)

Hopslayer likes this.
  9. Moparisto

Moparisto Full Access Member

The 3.5 was a better engine as far as performance and revs, but the timing belt, really, Dodge?

But it had bucket-and-shim valve actuation, which raises potential RPM to an exceedingly high level with the right springs.

The 3.6 was evidently designed to kill any chance of being modified for speed. One big exhaust port all the cylinders dump into? I guess the only way to really deal with that is to slap a turbocharger right on each port, as the monoport acts like an extremely-short-primary header on each side, which can be great if your RPM exceeds 20,000 or whatever.

10. SRT-Tom

Why do you think that the 3.5 has better performance? The 3.6 Pentastar engine is technologically more advanced that the 3.5. It produces 55 more horsepower (38% more) and uses 11% less fuel and beats the 3.5 in the 1/4 by 2 sec. It also weighs 42 lbs less at 340 lbs.

Compare these stock engine specs:

3.6 Engine

305 hp/268 lb/ft@6,350 rpm (only 250 less rpm than the 3.5)
    1/4 mile- 14.8 sec.

3.5 Engine

250 hp/250lb/ft@6,600 rpm
    1/4 mile- 15.9 sec.

Here is some information about the 3.6 engine:

The new 3.6 V6 engine has a high-pressure die-cast aluminum cylinder block with a 60-degree V angle between cylinder banks. It has an open-deck design that saves material, lighter and cheaper to produce, and has cast iron cylinder liners for increasing longevity.

The engine block is equipped with three piston oil cooler jets. Each oil jet cools two pistons, preventing detonations by managing heat. There are forged steel connecting rods, the nodular iron crankshaft, and cast aluminum pistons with low-friction rings and reduced skirt area for less weight and friction. The engine uses a chain-driven, vane-type variable displacement oil pump. Engineers removed all brackets for the engine accessories. The alternator, air conditioner compressor, and belt tensioner are bolted to the engine block. They are driven by a serpentine belt as well. This arrangement has significantly reduced the level of vibration and noise.

The 3.6L Pentastar has sand-cast aluminum cylinder heads made of T7 heat-treated aluminum. The cylinder head features 4-valve per cylinder and dual overhead camshafts with roller finger followers with hydraulic lifters. The intake and exhaust camshafts are chain-driven (there is a separate timing chain for each head). Timing chains are a "silent chain link" design. All four camshafts come with torque-actuated phasers. The intake valve has a single-piece design and is made of forged heat-resistant (martensitic) steel; the intake valve diameter is 39 mm. The exhaust valves have a two-piece design, with a forged austenitic head welded to a martensitic stem. The exhaust valve diameter is 30 mm. Cylinder heads feature high-flow intake and exhaust ports and an integrated exhaust manifold. On top of the engine, there is a lightweight composite intake manifold fitted with a 74 mm throttle body and an electronically controlled multipoint port fuel injection system."

90% of maximum torque is achieved in the range of 1800-6350 rpm. Thus, the engine can provide excellent driving dynamics without requiring high-octane (premium gasoline). While Pentastar engines are not demanding on fuel quality and sufficiently simple to maintain, they feature exceptional fuel efficiency, low emissions, and smooth operation. Pentastar V6 engines are popular both in the United States and beyond. They meet Federal Tier 2 BIN 5 emission requirements, Ultra-low Emissions Vehicle II standards, and Euro6 standards. It is also designed to meet stringent future standards, including LEV III and PZEV California standards.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2023