Thermostat For 3.6L

Discussion in 'Challenger SE Engine and Performance Modifications' started by JoeSans9, Nov 3, 2020.

1. JoeSans9

JoeSans9 Member

Hey everyone I was just wondering if anyone of my fellow SXT owners have installed a 192 degree or lower aftermarket thermostat. If so did you see any difference in the car after the install? Leaning towards swapping the OEM one out for a lower degree for a nice weekend project and its fairly cheap.

2. arizonajack

arizonajack Full Access Member

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :imo:

3. 2017 Redline HC

2017 Redline HC 2021 Durango RT

What do you hope the outcome will be?

4. Katshot

Katshot Full Access Member

There's nothing to be gained by running a colder t-stat. Years ago it could make a difference, and in racing engines it's helpful. For a modern, daily driver, it does nothing positive and can have several negative side effects such as lower fuel economy and increased engine wear.

68MOPAR and JoeSans9 like this.
  5. IntimidatorRT

IntimidatorRT Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator

i know when these early hemis came out in the 2000's, it was said that running a 180 Degree thermostat was better. I know I have had one in mine since I bought it.really have had no problems running it, Plus I can adjust when the fans come on with my trinity.

baccaruda likes this.
  6. Katshot

Katshot Full Access Member

I'm sure you're not alone. And you touch on an important point; these cars use electronic controlled cooling fans. They control the engine temp, not the t-stat. Running a cooler t-stat really only causes the engine to take longer to warm up which isn't a good thing. The best thing you can do for any engine is get it up to operating temp as quickly as possible. Increased warm-up increases fuel consumption and emissions output as well as engine wear.