Thinking about the Challenger 1320 but not for the reason you might think

Discussion in 'Site News' started by Curt 60, Oct 23, 2021.

1. Curt 60

Curt 60 Member

The 1320 as we all know lends itself to the drag strip but also in ride quality as well with its adjustable suspension would make for a pretty comfortable ride as well. I think the dodge people are on to something here where they are using much smaller disk brakes, Yeah ,I know they say the brakes are smaller because the car on the drag strip has plenty of time to slow down vs being on a road course but by using the smaller brake calipers also lends itself to being able to run smaller diameter rims with a higher profile tire which would mean an even better ride quality which is my only complaint about my 2021 Challenger scat-pack because I'm an old man who wants the best of both worlds! Tell me what you think?

2. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

If you are not planning to frequently take your Challenger to the drag strip, I would not get the 1320. Your Scat Pack 6.4 Hemi, with 485 hp., is more than enough power for the street.

Why pay for Demon performance features that you do not need like: no rear seat, adaptive dampers with Drag mode, front-brake line lock, a Torque Reserve system, a TransBrake, an asymmetric limited-slip differential with a 3.09:1 ring gear, extreme-duty 41-spline rear-axle halfshafts, 9.5 x 20-inch forged-aluminum wheels (with knurled bead seats), and street-legal 275/40R20Nexen SUR4G drag-radial tires?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
  3. TRCM

TRCM Full Access Member

Thought only the Super Stock had smaller brakes specifically for rim/tire size.

4. Curt 60

Curt 60 Member

Somebody help me here!

5. 70-426_10-SRT

70-426_10-SRT B&E body lover

^^^^
    Buy what you can afford, and enjoy it.
    Don't take what anyone on a Forum tells you is right for you.
    Time on this old world is short, don't settle.

If you want a 1320, get it.
    Personally, I needed a 6-speed Manual, and pre-2014 as I owned a 1970 (cuzz of the Tail Light Change)
    I was lucky enough to find TWO SRT-8 BLACK Manual's on a Subaru Lot,
    both with low mileage (8-years old with 8k miles)

I really wanted the 2010 as it was 40-years after my 1970, and that is what I bought and drive (Daily)
    She has 56k on it now , and I don't regret my decision.

NC20RT likes this.
  6. NC20RT

NC20RT Full Access Member

What do we think? I thought the previous comments were pretty good.

You own a 2021 Scat Pack and possibly want to change factory specs from what I am hearing. You better check with the dealership on something so important after spending really good $$ to get your car. You are talking about other things besides the ride, like the speedometer and gauge readings, along with other things functioning properly and perhaps even warranty issues. If you are already thinking about comfort issues after such a short ownership experience, I'm concerned these feelings will get worse as the years pass by. If you are just throwing thoughts out here, that's good to hear. I wish you the best with whatever avenues you proceed with, if any. The next paragraph is what I considered last year. Just skip it if not interested in personal stuff.

Speed is #1 for many owners, especially if you race, and I enjoy speed as well. Like you, I am an older owner at 67 years but racing is far removed from my life now. I felt the R/T gave me the best ride and comfort while still delivering the goods for 'spirited' driving, especially with so many performance options available. Even with all the performance options I got on my 2020 it still makes for a comfortable ride, and in 'sport mode' all the speed and handling I can possibly deal with. I really thought this through before my purchase last year. I wanted an experience like my 1st generation 'Cuda. The R/T delivers and exceeds in most areas. Zero regrets.

70-426_10-SRT likes this.
  7. Curt 60

Curt 60 Member

Sorry for the confusion but I plan on leaving my car stock with maybe the exception of an oil can. Now as you know the the tire and rims that would be put on the 1320 or any other car for that matter could very well be matched so not to mess up the gear ratio, It is true that the 1320 has a lot of drag racing goodies but its still a Scat Pack with the 6.4 engine as matter of fact the price of the two cars are about the same.

+