Throttle body cleaning

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Maintenance' started by MoparManiac15, Apr 25, 2019.

1. MoparManiac15

MoparManiac15 New Member

Is cleaning the throttle body necessary? I have a 2015 SXT with about 40,00 miles. Dealer wanted to clean throttle body for about $80. It seems to me it’s just something for dealers to make extra money. I had a new 99 Dodge Durango. After 30,000 miles I had it to dealer for something and they wanted to clean the throttle body. After telling me how bad it was for the engine and how much better it would run and the gas mileage would improve, I finally gave in and let them do it. Afterwards, I couldn’t tell any difference in performance or mileage. I don’t know if that means it wasn’t all that dirty to begin with or if they just ripped me off charging me for it and didn’t do it.

If it is necessary to clean it periodically, how often should it be done and what tips does anyone have in cleaning it yourself. I saw they make an aerosol can of throttle body cleaner.

Thanks!

2. IntimidatorRT

IntimidatorRT Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator

hell you can do that with some cleaner spray. by taking off the intake tube. but I haven't touched mine in 99,000 miles