Thud when starting

Discussion in 'Challenger Mechanical Problems Forum | TSB's' started by CHAOS, Jun 26, 2021.

1. CHAOS

CHAOS New Member

I also just bought a 2021 Challenger SXT and I also have the same issue of a thud sound from the area of the drivetrain when I start it. I have taken it to the Dealer and the witnessed my Challenger making this noise during their inspection but was unable to duplicate it afterwards. I currently have 1509 miles but had only 5 miles when it was purchased. It was explained that it’s under load when it starts up and that this is normal. I’m taking back again because this seems to be a common issue from what I have read in other forms. Hopefully the issue gets resolved

2. arizonajack

arizonajack Full Access Member

That's a load of BS.

I have a 2020 SXT. 900+ miles on it. When I read the other thread I checked out my car and it didn't do that, with or without the parking brake on.

I'll make the same suggestion to you that I made to the other guy.

Study up on the Florida lemon law:

http://autopedia.com/html/LemonLaw/FL_lemonlaw.html

Keep this well documented. Lay a solid paper trail in writing to and from whoever you deal with.

Someone else suggested making a video while the car is doing that. I think that's a good idea.

There are reports of this happening frequently with the 2019 SXTs as well. Some owners have resolved it with a lighter touch on the brake pedal when pushing the starter button.

Clunk sound during start-up | Dodge Challenger Forum (challengertalk.com)

NC20RT likes this.
  3. Liam Wilson

Liam Wilson Active Member

Yeah, mine bangs so loud and you can actually feel it. The car has just under 1000 miles on it . It also bangs when the unit is downshifting. Funny thing is my dealership never saw this issue before and had to reach out to Chrysler for assistance. Now that I’m hearing more of this I think Chrysler is going straight to the “ it’s characteristic “ bin and trying to get away with this rather than having to replace a lot of transmissions. Well too bad. Imagine trying to sell the car down the road trying to explain this away as it’s normal. Mines been in 3 Times , and I have recently file an arbitration case with the Florida State Attorney General’s office. All of this is a total shame because we love this car otherwise but this is Not what a new car buying experience should be like. Regards : Liam Sebastian Florida.

NC20RT likes this.
  4. Liam Wilson

Liam Wilson Active Member

After reading more on this it seems conducive to 2019 + models. Why the hell doesn’t Chrysler fix this problem . All I know is something Banging so bad as in my case where it feels like someone is striking the underneath of the car with a hammer coming from the transmission internally, that was established by my dealership, CANNOT BE GOOD. . Mine also clunks while downshifting. If anything it totally devalues the car. A new phenomenon that has recently developed is the A/C while totally turned off, turns on and keeps cycling. Does it randomly, so I haven’t been able to duplicate it for the dealership. Staring to think the quality of these vehicles is shit.

5. NC20RT

NC20RT Full Access Member

^^^ ArizonaJack nailed this. With your a/c acting up now in your NEW car, you probably have a LEMON. It is one of life's great mysteries why certain individual cars have so many things wrong with them when the exact same car just down the assembly line is fine. It isn't just Chrysler but every manufacturer. I've had one lemon in my 50 years of driving. It's a horrible feeling. Buying a new car is supposed to be a wonderful experience. I have had quite a few new cars but like I said, an occasional lemon happens too. Knock on wood, my 2020 R/T has been a joy so far.
    I'm so sorry you have to go through this dealership nonsense and i'm glad you have taken action already. Continue that paper trail and fight them until they make it right. You will win, it just takes effort as dealerships will not assist you with this. It's all about the $$$ and nothing else.

Chaos, I hope you are still monitoring. Good luck!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
  6. arizonajack

arizonajack Full Access Member

For those of you who are in states other than Florida, here's a site that has links to every state's lemon laws.

AUTOPEDIA®: State by State Lemon Law Summaries

Study them carefully, follow the procedures to the letter, put everything in writing, watch closely for deadlines.

NC20RT likes this.
  7. DodgeCares

DodgeCares Active Member

Hi CHAOS,
    Sorry to hear you are experiencing this, we certainly understand why this would be concerning. If you end up addressing this with your local Dodge dealer again, please let us know via PM. We'd be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of assistance for that process.

Rob
    Dodge Cares

8. Wm TPA SXT

Wm TPA SXT Full Access Member

If its a Thud most likely the Center Drive shaft Bearing, if you got a 2021 should be under warranty.

9. HellKitten

HellKitten Full Access Member

I have a 2020 GT awd and yes I hear a thud only on start up occasionally. I got to say though for a stock 3.6 I have a 5.8 o-60 time car moves well..