3.6L Timing Chain Issue Summary

Discussion in 'Challenger SE Engine and Performance Modifications' started by Hopslayer, Jul 31, 2022.

1. Hopslayer

Hopslayer Full Access Member

I thought I would post a picture of everything that was replaced after I stretched the timing chain on my supercharged V6 SXT Plus. I ended up replacing all 4 chains, the 3 tensioners, the guides and the thermostat housing for an unrelated issue. Also put in a new belt as I had over a year on the other one and my car was apart anyway. Good to have it running like new. My mechanic said one of the tensioners was supposed to be at 6 hundredths of an inch but was at 1 inch. If it had failed he said I would have had catastrophic engine failure. He also said it could eventually happen again. Not sure if that’s a design flaw or what, but I’m sure it will be years before it does.

AC172846-377E-4C66-BCA1-34C6AA68FDA2.jpeg

2. stingray

stingray Full Access Member

If your SXT wasn't supercharged and kept in factory stock condition would you have had the same problems?

3. HellKitten

HellKitten Full Access Member

Thank you for sharing this timing chain issue, as I have a 3.6 pentastar too, though it is not supercharged. I will keep the low oil in check. I am curious if the oil get low does any lights come on the dash.

4. stingray

stingray Full Access Member

Is this a known problem with the Challenger SXT with the Pentastar V6 engine?

5. Hopslayer

The check engine light, eventually. :)

6. Hopslayer

According to my tuner and mechanic, it's a well known issue with the Pentastar AND the Chevy V6 engines. It has nothing to do with the supercharger. I've had the supercharger for well over a year, and I drive my car hard. I think I would have had the issue sooner if it was related to the supercharger. I think it was probably just my own fault for not checking my oil between changes. My mechanic also said it's likely to happen again in a few years. I think it's somewhat of a design flaw if that's the case.

Moparisto likes this.
  7. Cloverdale

Cloverdale Full Access Member

Boosting / additional boosting (you're about double the psi rate that my 5.7 can safely go) will wear many engine internals at a faster rate. Curious what your mileage was at when replacement was required?

8. Hopslayer

I'm at 10psi. The guy who has the fastest Pentastar out there runs 16. I had a car show in Minneapolis in June. It was 248 miles from my house to there and I got 32mpg with the cruise control set at 75mph. I don't pay much attention to my city mpg. Probably low to mid 20's.

9. Cloverdale

Cloverdale Full Access Member

I see. Was wondering what your odometer read when you required timing belt replacement?

10. Hopslayer

48,000 miles.