Timing Chain Recall!

Discussion in 'Challenger Mechanical Problems Forum | TSB's' started by SRT-Tom, Feb 15, 2014.

1. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

Chrysler has finally admitted that there is a problem with the timing chains on the 2009-2012 5.7 autos with MDS. Here is the recall information:

Customer Satisfaction Notification P01
    Engine Timing Chain and Chain Guide
    Models
    IMPORTANT: Some of the involved vehicles may be in dealer used vehicle inventory. Dealers should complete this repair on these vehicles before retail delivery. Dealers should also perform this repair on vehicles in for service. Involved vehicles can be determined by using the VIP inquiry process.
    Subject
    Repair
    2009-2012 (LC) Dodge Challenger
    (LD) Dodge Charger
    (LX) Chrysler 300
    NOTE: This recall applies only to the above vehicles equipped with a 5.7L Hemi engine (sales code EZD or EZH), automatic transmission (sales code DGJ) and rear axle ratio 3.06, 3.73 or 3.92 (sales code DMP, DME or DMH) built from August 04, 2008 through July 10, 2012 (MDH 080406 through 071008).
    The engine timing chain guide on about 50,800 of the above vehicles may fracture. A fractured engine timing chain guide could cause the engine timing chain to break. A broken engine timing chain will result in severe engine damage.
    The engine timing chain, timing chain tensioner and timing chain guide must be replaced. Customer Satisfaction Notification P01 Engine Timing Chain and Chain Guide Page 2
    Part Number Description
    CBPRN291AA Engine Timing Chain Package
    Each package contains the following components:
    Quantity Description
    1 Chain, Engine Timing
    1 Guide, Engine Timing Chain
    1 Tensioner, Engine Timing Chain
    1 O-ring, Oil Pick-up Tube
    1 Gasket, Engine Timing Cover
    NOTE: Order two heater tube O-rings separately listed below for each repair.
    Part Number Description
    53013736AA O-ring, Heater Tube (order two per vehicle)
    Each dealer to whom vehicles in the recall were assigned will receive enough Engine Timing Chain Packages to service about 5% of those vehicles.

Affected owners will be receiving a letter from Chrysler. You can also use your VIN to check yourself at the following site:

https://www.moparownerconnect.com/oc/US/en-us/sub/Pages/OwnersLogin.aspx

2. Storm Rider

Storm Rider Full Access Member

My Challenger is on the recall list. Thanks for posting the valuable info.

3. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

Isn't it amazing how this problem first surfaced on the many Challenger forums many years before Chrysler admitted it had a problem?

I'm glad the recall did not include the 6.1s (they don't have MDS).

If I had a 5.7 that was recalled, I would wait a while until the dealership techs get some experience with this work. I wouldn't want my car to be the guinea pig.

4. Storm Rider

Storm Rider Full Access Member

I called our local dealer and they said they only had enough parts for the police cars in town. I will have to wait a month or so.

5. dC.mx

dC.mx Full Access Member

Me too.. But what is MDS ?
    And what's wrong in it since you've only need to change the chain and tensioner ?

6. 10DYRT

10DYRT Full Access Member

Got my notice last week , called the dealer, the service writer didn't seem to know anything (as usual). So I talked to my parts guy and they have only had one other customer ask about the recall. He told me to place the parts order, then when the parts package comes in to book the service appointment that way they have no way to try to use "we can't do the job cause we don't have the parts", parts will hold the items for 45 days without question. Parts are ordered no charge using the recall notice, which may have me consider having my local performance shop do the work instead, then submit the labour bill to Chrysler. Have to check into that a bit more, heard somewhere that somebody already did their timing chain and was re-embursed by Chrysler.

7. Super Soul

Super Soul New Member

Anyone know why the cut off is 2012 cars? Did Chrysler already correct the problem by the time the '13's came out or do they figure they are too new to have a problem?