Tire downsize

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Maintenance' started by BunnyMom, Apr 30, 2022.

1. BunnyMom

BunnyMom Full Access Member

Hey all Im back!

Ok so, one tire has a slow leak, tired of dealing w/it. Upon my recent search for a replacement, discovered what that the 'Y' on tire size meant.

So I want to go down a size or two and have zero idea about tires on a challenger, trucks easy peasy.

Currently have 265/35 R22 102Y, I know they are no where near stock, need help downsizing.

Thank you!!!!!

2. NC20RT

NC20RT Full Access Member

Personally, now later in life and past the racing phase of my life, I get what the manufacturer suggests and what the sticker states on the door jamb. Sometimes I will go one size larger if no interference with the body parts. I will probably do that with my R/T when the time comes for a bit better grip. That's me anyway. Others may feel different, especially if into serious mods.

BunnyMom likes this.
  3. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

If you want to go with a 20-inch tire, I would suggest a 245/45-20.

Also, if you need a long-wearing, high performance all-season tire, a Cooper Zeon RS3-G1 is an excellent choice.

BunnyMom likes this.
  4. NC20RT

^^^ Not sure why you would push CHINESE made tires when so many better tires exist, especially made right here in the USA.

I would never recommend them. Sweet muscle cars with Chinese rubber is almost an oxymoron. I would feel zero pride if I had them on any ride of mine. I can see serious issues with them as the tread gets to the 50% mark, with tramlining being obvious. Never mind plain old tire failure.

See Tire Rack chart below in very last column. Every size of that Zeon is made in China.
    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?tireMake=Cooper&tireModel=Zeon+RS3-G1

geomag likes this.
  5. B5blueRT

B5blueRT Full Access Member

If you want to match what came with the car, stock combo on my 2015 RT Plus is 245/45ZR20 Goodyear Eagle RS-A2 tires on 20"x8" wheels. If you want a wider tire, you should select a wheel with at least a 8.5" width.

Check out Tire rack and Discount Tire for a good selection of wheels and tires. Discount Tire's website has a feature that will show your Challenger with correct color and the tire/wheel combo you selected to give you an idea how it looks. On a laptop just enter your car info and click on the "view on my vehicle" link by the photo of the wheel you're looking at.

stingray and NC20RT like this.
  6. SRT-Tom

Cooper Tires, which is owned by Goodyear, manufactures most of its tires in three different states- Ohio, Arkansas and Mississippi. It's true that Zeon tires, as well as its truck tires, are made in China. However, the Zeon tires are constructed according to Cooper's specs. and are extremely well made. One of its nice features is that the siping goes all the way down through the block to 2/32 of an inch. So, when the tread is half worn, it will still look new.

Also, several top global brands such as Michelin (two production plants), Bridgestone (six plants), Goodyear (two plants), Continental (two plants), Pirelli (two plants), Yokohama (three plants), Hankook (four plants), and Kumho (three plants) are present in China through their manufacturing units.

Last edited: May 1, 2022
  7. NC20RT

^^^ Not in China. I can't agree with that. Nothing would convince me that shortcuts or cheap labor would result in a well made tire. I'll pass. You get what you pay for. Tires, especially on spirited runs, are way too important.

geomag and BunnyMom like this.
  8. BunnyMom

BunnyMom Full Access Member

Appreciate all the ideas, agree with keeping american muscle american. I have zero idea what Im doing. Just want long lasting, safe tires. Live in a rural area and no tire rack/discount tire here. Kinda lost as to where to go. Seen/heard so many numbers on over load

NC20RT likes this.
  9. NC20RT

Michelin, Goodyear, BF Goodrich 'top of the line' all season tires will keep you at the top of the game with no worries. Minimal tramlining, good even wear, and 'trust' when you are in the mood for some 'fun' driving. Yes, pricey for sure but no shortcuts with tires. I really believe this strongly. I have them on all 3 of my rides. The Goodyears came on my R/T. I have Michelins on my GT/CS and BFG's on my Trans Am. All Made in USA. :patriot: I make sure of that.

small (2).JPG

BunnyMom likes this.
  10. SRT-Tom

The Zeon RS3-G1 tires are not cheap- just reasonably price. A 245/45-20 costs $211 and a 275/40-20 costs $235 at Tire Rack. They are Y speed-rated.

BunnyMom likes this.